Transfer music from old iPod to new Macbook

Reaction score
Apple support tells me that I cannot transfer music from an iPod that I used with a mac that I no longer have. (The iPod is filled with music from CDs that I used to have). When I read online, it states that it is possible and there is freeware to do it. I have tried to freeware programs with no luck. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
As Apple stated there is no (legal according to apples policies) way to do this as a standard. Yes there are freeware apps out there that can do it, but not something probably to be discussed on this forum.
They stop the ability of being able to transfer music from an ipod, iphone etc as a copyright measure.

Hope this at least helps explain the situation.

- Simon

p.s welcome to the forums :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple support tells me that I cannot transfer music from an iPod that I used with a mac that I no longer have. (The iPod is filled with music from CDs that I used to have). When I read online, it states that it is possible and there is freeware to do it. I have tried to freeware programs with no luck. Any suggestions?

You can legally transfer music you paid for that's on your iPod to your Mac and into iTunes. There is software which allows this type of reverse syncing but it's not free. I don't know of any free Mac software which works but there might be.

You can try "Senuti" but it's not free. ($18.00)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Try PodTrans, it has been recommended to me but I have not tried it personally and it's free. I dont think you are contravening any copyright laws transferring media you own or previously purchased after all you've already copied them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" M2 running Sonoma 14.0
Senuti

I did the Senuti thing when my hard drive died. Now iTunes will recognize my iPod but won't synch it with current playlists etc. But I did get the music off of it and into the new hard drive. Too bad there's not an Apple approved way of doing this as I too had loaded a lot of music from personal CD's I had purchased.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I did the Senuti thing when my hard drive died. Now iTunes will recognize my iPod but won't synch it with current playlists etc. But I did get the music off of it and into the new hard drive. Too bad there's not an Apple approved way of doing this as I too had loaded a lot of music from personal CD's I had purchased.

If you restore your iPod to factory settings, assuming everything on it is now in iTunes you can sync it with your current iTunes library.

Reaction score
You can legally transfer music you paid for that's on your iPod to your Mac and into iTunes. There is software which allows this type of reverse syncing but it's not free. I don't know of any free Mac software which works but there might be.

You can try "Senuti" but it's not free. ($18.00)

There actually are free solutions. Senuti was published as open source software up to a time until they decided to go closed source and try to get profit. Because of the open source license they used anyone can still legally distribute the older version. Use this link to download. Still works on Mavericks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you restore your iPod to factory settings, assuming everything on it is now in iTunes you can sync it with your current iTunes library.

I restored my iPod Classic to factory settings. It is recognized only to eject. The logo for the iPod will only appear quickly, then fade out. It is not listed in the device menu and does not appear in disk utility. And it does not synch.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I restored my iPod Classic to factory settings. It is recognized only to eject. The logo for the iPod will only appear quickly, then fade out. It is not listed in the device menu and does not appear in disk utility. And it does not synch.

I seem to recall something about the iPod Classic needing to be plugged into a wall charger after restore to complete the process, plugging it into a computer is not the same. Did you try this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I seem to recall something about the iPod Classic needing to be plugged into a wall charger after restore to complete the process, plugging it into a computer is not the same. Did you try this?

I charge with an apparatus that's part of my home theater surround, its not a computer. I'm doing it now. I'll try just about anything at this point. Thanks for your reply.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some reason I can't remember now I think it has to be an Apple iPod wall charger.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does the screen on the iPod show? Anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does the screen on the iPod show? Anything?

The iPod works fine. The screen shows the CD cover of whatever is playing or photos etc. it just won't synch with iTunes. I can't load any new material in it. The recharge unit was never an issue before.

Reaction score
I'm on this thread because I want to purchase an Ipod as a "back-up" to my Macbook Itunes. The issue is restoring the the playlists and folders - I have the itunes purchased and original CD's, but it's a pain to recreate the playlists.

The theory was, in case my Macbook is damaged or lost, I have a working back-up that I can 'restore' to my next Macbook.

This thread and the (in)ability to restore from an Ipod is making me re-think the Ipod purchase.

Is the Ipod a practical 'back-up" solution?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Not in my opinion. I think a better backup solution would be to use an external hard drive for all your iTunes purchases and playlists. Of course you can't "play" an external hard as you can an iPod Classic, but it would be safer and much less expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm on this thread because I want to purchase an Ipod as a "back-up" to my Macbook Itunes. The issue is restoring the the playlists and folders - I have the itunes purchased and original CD's, but it's a pain to recreate the playlists.

The theory was, in case my Macbook is damaged or lost, I have a working back-up that I can 'restore' to my next Macbook.

This thread and the (in)ability to restore from an Ipod is making me re-think the Ipod purchase.

I agree with chscag. Get an external hard drive. And, if you can, get the iPod too, but not for security.

Reaction score
Thanks group. I have an external hard drive and use it. It's the playlists I want to preserve. I suppose one is for security and the other (iPod) is for convenience; not recreating the playlists and occasional mobility (I find the Air quite mobile).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.