Boot up really slow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
My Macbook Pro (Mid 2012 i7 8GB RAM) has been really slow the past year or so booting up. I let it slide but now I am starting to find this rather annoying. I was reading a little bit about it on some other forums and stumbled across this boot sequence thing for intel macs. Mine is slow on the "kernel" part. Anyone else have slow startup? It seems as though I am not the only one with this issue. Let me know if you had this problem and if you fixed it. Also who ever has some ideas on as to what to do, chime in as well please.
Intel-based Mac: Startup sequence and error codes, symbols

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Possible lead up to internal HDD failure?

In the past 2 months, I have had to repair my disk. I had problems with partitioning for bootcamp and I ran disk utility ran Verify Disk (not disk permissions) and it came up with red text explaining that I had to reboot into recovery and do it from there. I did that and then repaired the disc and all was fine until I uninstalled windows 8 and went to windows 7. Same problem. Is it just unaccounted for free space causing problems? I would think the first time had a problem from something unrelated. After cleaning out virtual box VDIs, disk utility said that it was repairing the lost space or something like that from one of my VDI files. Bad disk or just a "routine" issue?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
We probably cover this topic at least 10-15 times each week...and it usually comes down to:

- not restarting/rebooting the computer enough to reset the page outs & swap file
- a hard drive is going bad
- a hard drive is getting too full (more than 80% full)
- running Onyx (free maintenance app)
- do an SMC Reset
- do an NVRAM/PRAM reset

Try all these things.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
High probability these two threads are related to the same problem (threads merged).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Would a mid-2012 already be a candidate for a hard drive failure?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Maybe. I've had some drives last quite a while and other drives fain in a relatively short time. Just because the drive is relatively new doesn't mean it can't fail.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would a mid-2012 already be a candidate for a hard drive failure?

Not usually. But the storage device in a brand new computer can fail…so it can fail in a mid-2012 computer s well. But then Applecare would replace it (if still has Applecare).

Traditional spinning HD's are mechanical devices. And mechanical devices can fail at any time. A brand new HD out of the box can fail as well. But again…the warranty would replace it. This is why we should always have backups (never know when an HD or SSD will fail).

Why do you ask?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have had brand new hard drives dead in the box so sure anywhere anytime for all types of drives. And if Nick's tips don't work run Recovery and check the drive.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Not usually. But the storage device in a brand new computer can fail…so it can fail in a mid-2012 computer s well. But then Applecare would replace it (if still has Applecare).

Traditional spinning HD's are mechanical devices. And mechanical devices can fail at any time. A brand new HD out of the box can fail as well. But again…the warranty would replace it. This is why we should always have backups (never know when an HD or SSD will fail).

Why do you ask?

- Nick

I ask because it would be rather outrageous for it to fail so soon, especially on a "premium" product like a Mac! I would not give Apple a free pass on an early-death hard drive by just brushing it off as **** happens.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ask because it would be rather outrageous for it to fail so soon, especially on a "premium" product like a Mac! I would not give Apple a free pass on an early-death hard drive by just brushing it off as **** happens.

I think that you missed the detail that a couple of us in this thread already mentioned. It's possible that a brand new hard drive to be "dead" out of the box...if purchased brand new from one of our favorite electronics retailers. So if it's possible for this to happen...then it is certainly possible for a drive in a mid-2012 computer (almost 2 years old) to fail.

Is this very common...no. But it can happen. Plus with a portable device like a laptop computer...anything can happen to it. It can be dropped...bumped hard against things...electrical shocks from thunderstorms...etc. All of which are not good for a drive.

This is why Apple has 12 months of included Applecare...or a total of 3 years if a person chooses to purchase extended Applecare. Personally...if I purchased a brand new computer from Apple (and I only had the 12 months of Applecare)...and a drive failed after 2 years...I would still try to get them to replace it. I would go to an Apple store...and in a polite & friendly manner...explain the situation...and ask them how they could help me out.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

What does Apple have to do with your hard drive failing? Apple uses industry standard hard drives in their machines. I had a hard drive fail in my 2 year old iMac but Apple replaced it under my Apple Care warranty which I had purchased. The hard drive that failed was made by Seagate not Apple. I have had hard drives fail in PCs that I owned and even one brand new Western Digital right straight out of the box.

That's why we advise folks to buy Apple Care and to make backups.... ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you guys often feel we are wasting our time responding?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sometimes Harry. :p Folks get frustrated and upset when something goes wrong and start blaming Apple. Not that Apple has achieved Sainthood yet O:) but some things like a lousy run of hard drives is pretty much out of their control.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tell me about bad runs with SSDs Charlie. G.Skill Falcon dead out of the box, Kingston Now dead at 90 days, OWC Mercury Extreme refused firmwire update and replaced. Must be Apple's fault!!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah my cousins mid-2012 just had his hard drive die. Its possible but I do use Time Machine. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.