Can't Add my Canon MP550!! Snow Leopard!

Reaction score
Hello Guys,
I bought New MP550 but I can't Add it to my printer!! in Snaow leopard.
I searched but couldn't find a solution.

I contacted Canon Support in the Middle East but got no respond YET! So I contacted Canon Support in the UK and hopefully I would get an answer.

in the mean time I'd like to find solution if anyone has an opinion or suggestion.

I really need to use the printer sooner than later.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you installed the latest Canon software and drivers for the 550? If not, you can download from here.

Once the drivers and software are installed, attach the printer via a USB cable to your Mac and turn it on. Then open System Preferences, Print & Fax. The printer should be listed.

Reaction score
I'm having similar problem with my MP620. I've installed the vendor software, then loaded the new Canon drivers from the mac support site, rebooted and ...nothing. I don't have anything showing up in my printer file.

I should say that I got this used with a fresh 10.6 install but no install disk. That leaves me dependent on the mac support site for anything I may need.

Isn't there a set of common software drivers that are installed with every system? Did it not load the driver because the Canon printer (or any printer) was not attached during the initial set up?

I hate to say it, but my Mac experience has not been pleasant. I've got family asking to bring back Windows which was reliable, fast and dad knew all the answers. Now I'm stuck with what I'm being to feel is a POS.

I need some MAC expertise to save the day.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm having similar problem with my MP620. I've installed the vendor software, then loaded the new Canon drivers from the mac support site, rebooted and ...nothing. I don't have anything showing up in my printer file.

I should say that I got this used with a fresh 10.6 install but no install disk. That leaves me dependent on the mac support site for anything I may need.

Isn't there a set of common software drivers that are installed with every system? Did it not load the driver because the Canon printer (or any printer) was not attached during the initial set up?

I hate to say it, but my Mac experience has not been pleasant. I've got family asking to bring back Windows which was reliable, fast and dad knew all the answers. Now I'm stuck with what I'm being to feel is a POS.

I need some MAC expertise to save the day.

Just as with Windows, the Mac comes with some built in printer drivers, but not for every printer. It sounds like you've got the drivers installed, the next step is to add the printer. This is done by going to System Preferences => Print & Fax. If the printer doesn't already show up, you may need to click the '+' sign to add it.

As far as the Mac's place in your family, I'm confused. If you were content with Windows, why stray? If you truly wanted something different, don't be surprised when it is indeed different.

Give it some time - you didn't learn Windows in a few days, and it will take some time to learn the Mac as well.

Reaction score
i just bought a 5220 and i never even hooked it up through usb. just connected it to my router installed the program on the ole mac and viola printing in minutes.. are you two trying to get wirelessly as well? if so make sure you designate the software as such while installing..

and i agree with cwa a little time and some edjumecation <heh will fix the frustration..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.