shared internet IP resolution

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a somewhat odd question. I am trying to setup a home network but I am having problems getting all machines assigned IPs.

My setup is simple. I have a cheap Linksys router that maintains the internet connection. The router is enabled/setup for DHCP.

The router has one wired connection to an XP-home box. One wirless XP pro box, one powerbook and finally a macbook pro.

I also have one very old machine that has a simple ethernet card. What I thought I could do is setup internet sharing from one of the two macs (powerbook) to this old machine.

The powerbook is setup to share the internet connection from the wireless to the ethernet. The problem is that the machine (running xp and ubuntu (fawn)) can't pickup an IP.

I really am stuck with why - I assumed a xover cable would solve the problem but my knowledge of networking is (?clearly?) limited.

Any help/pointers would be great.

Thanks

PM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Why are you trying to setup internet sharing if you have a router in place? The router should be handling DHCP and routing, so all machines connected to the network should get an IP address and be able to connect to the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 PPC, Intel Mac Mini, AirPort Extreme, 4GB iPod Nano. soon: MacBook
I am trying this also, though I am using the AirPort Extreme base Station as the router. I have a G4 PPC and an Intel Mac Mini plugged into the AirPort. The G4 and Mini have their own, new, IP addresses assigned to them by the Airport, but I am having trouble accessing the computers remotely. I have Personal Web Sharing and personal File Sharing checked, but I am having trouble accessing the computers when not connected to my personal network.

Any help/ideas?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Why are you trying to setup internet sharing if you have a router in place? The router should be handling DHCP and routing, so all machines connected to the network should get an IP address and be able to connect to the internet.

Yup, once you have you Mac (s) configured for DHCP (your router too) this should "just work"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.