• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problem in burning subtiles into the file

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm using HandBrake, I've converted some files to mkv, but now, i want to convert them to mp4, but mp4 needs to have the subtitles burned in, right? The problem, is that now I only have my mkv (converted) files, and when I try to convert them to mp4, I can't burn the subtitles.

screenshot20110422at134l.th.png

Thanks for any help

Reaction score
maybe you can try these steps :

open handbrake > choose a video that you want to convert > click the format option then choose mp4, after that click subtitles tab and click add external srt .. hope it solve the problem ..

OP
XicoXperto
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but it doesnt, cause the subtitle "file" is inside the "mkv" file.
I just discovered, that i can burn the "SAS" subtitles files, but not the "UTF-8", any idea how can I burn the UTF-8? o_O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP • 2.66Ghz iMac
Hi guys, I know that XicoXperto started this thread but I hope you wont mind if I hitch a ride on the threads. You see I have a similar or related problem. I started a related thread almost about the same time as XicoXperto where I mentioned that someone gave me a foreign language .avi movie file with the subtitles on a separate .srt file. However I'd like to watch it on my TV via a dvd player that has a USB port. I tried putting the whole folder on a flash drive but the dvd player only reads the .avi file. Some guys suggested that I use handbrake too but unfortunately when I access> add external srt file < the tick box for "forced" or "burned in" is grayed out so I cant select it. I went to Handbrake's page and read their manual...but I'm not exactly the most tech savvy person around so I'm still left with my original problem which is how do I burn in the subtitles in my avi file so that I can view it in my TV. btw...when I use Handbrake, it saves it as a mp4 (m4v) or mkv file...any way I can save or convert my .avi file (with subtitles on a separate srt file) to an .avi file with the subtitles already burned in? Thanks in advance people...you guys have been great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.