15 Reasons to Consider Purchasing an iPad!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yeah, you'll be waiting for a long time. Pretty sure that's the epitome of vaporware.

Personally, I'm waiting for the tricorder from Star Trek. I'd be willing to bet I'll see that first.

Beam me up Scotty. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Can you explain how you would use the webcam? I'm not trolling here, I just can't think of why anyone would need to use a webcam on one.

Video conferencing on the go? Can 3G networks even support the requirement for something like that?

I could, but I wont.

Lex

Reaction score
It is a pleasure to read some mature comments about the about the iPad. This morning I read the financial times and even they were making fun about it, well a little bit.
Apple is a clear company... they make an iPod / iPhone / iPad and it will become a hit. people are asking for the real osx on it, but they don't realize they don't need it since all they do is check their emails and use the internet. So definably a win for the iPad if you ask me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13. 2.26. 4 gig.
I would prefer a real OS on it, but only if it had/has the hardware to do more. If it were a 2.0 intel, maybe 2 gig of ram.

But that's not the point of the device. Sure, it would be awesome to play with CS, Logic, or Final Cut by touching it, but that's not what Apple is doing with this product. Give it a year or two, and they might integrate a touch screen into a macbook pro (mactablet pro anyone?). Again though, wishful thinking.

I'm interested to see what the HP Slate truly does, because I think that's the only competitor that could compare. Look at the others, the Joojoo, Archos 9, Dell's little 5-inch internet tablet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I don't think anyone will use it as a Phone.

I don't think it is really a MacBook Killer, although it is good enough to replace a Netbook.

On the other hand, it might well be a Kindle DX Killer :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Couple of Baby Boomers here :)
I will buy one, mainly for my husband. A bit of surfing, games and reading books on the couch with a hands on device will be a darn sight better fit for him than my MacBook Pro.

Camera .. used the MBP one once to see if it worked. Used my mobile phone camera no more than half a dozen times in over 3 years. We have a decent camera to use when necessary. Video chat ? Nope, our kids and grand kids know what we look like.
Another thing to remember is that many businesses will not allow laptop/iPad cameras in the door.

Flash.. No problem, I have click2flash installed on my Mac and don't miss flash and all the rubbish that is made with it at all. UTube has a decent alternative.

Might even make that two iPads..

As far as the Kindle goes, Amazon refuse to sell them to New Zealand although they are available over the ditch in Australia.

Reaction score
The IPad is a revolutionary device that represents Apple as being more competitive in where most of the traffic is on the web right now. Users are spoiled with the iphone and itouch. And now, we will crave a larger version so we can have instant gratification with this personal multimedia computer that is what it is and more. What is more APPS. I here a lot of people saying what it cant do, however, the apps will do these things. Go through your apps on your current devices, now, magnify it to the size of an ipad. Some say you cant write on it, there on tons of writing and drawing apps!
The Iphone is a walking computer and cool device. The IPad is a multimedia device driven by APP's. Users want intimate devices that they can personally customize to fit there needs. The Iphone apps are so nice that they deserve a larger screen. Remember when a 13 inch monitor was standard and expensive. The IPad is less expensive than the iphone when it first came out. And they will hold there value for years.

Reaction score
Ok, but why buy an iPad when you could do all those things with an iphone/ipod touch (or an android phone or blackberry) AND those things can fit in your pocket.
Sorry, without a full OS or even a usb port, Its a no buy for me. I was thinking that maybe I could load serato on that bad boy and DJ with a pad. Just wishful thinking i guess. Not the smart buy imo, especially if you already own an iphone

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Ok, but why buy an iPad when you could do all those things with an iphone/ipod touch (or an android phone or blackberry) AND those things can fit in your pocket.
Sorry, without a full OS or even a usb port, Its a no buy for me. I was thinking that maybe I could load serato on that bad boy and DJ with a pad. Just wishful thinking i guess. Not the smart buy imo, especially if you already own an iphone

I'm 56 and my eyes will appreciate the larger screen. I loved my iPod Touch and now my iPhone, but Stanza on the iPad is what I have been waiting for. That plus the ability to read PDFs in full color and at a reasonable size.
i won't be giving up my iPhone but there is no way it will compete with the iPad as a ebook and PDF reader. :)

C

chas_m

Another thing millions of people have been waiting for is a ZERO-MAINTENANCE, ZERO-CONFIGURTION computer.

And the iPhone is one!

In creating the iPhone, Apple hit on a concept that *clearly* resonates with a lot of "mundanes" -- why else would an overpriced smartphone become so popular that it has revolutionised how EVERY OTHER CELL PHONE is made?

The answer is that it eliminates ALL the barriers that intimidate people regarding computers. Maybe some of us power-nerds look down on such people -- they're stupid, they're old, they're stubborn, they didn't grow up with computers, I've heard all this and much more. But guess what? Their money is as green as everyone elses.

And clearly, what they want is a simpler computer. They are even willing to give up some of the bells and whistles to get it.

Something that works like an iPhone -- really works, in other words, with no hassle -- but is big enough to see easily and light enough to hold and easy enough to carry around and fits perfectly in a backpack, a purse, or a briefcase: wow, that's really something!

Worth as much money as the iPhone sold for back in the day? You bet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3

The iPad wasn't meant to replace any of those things, but to improve them. That statement alone should pretty much answer that. When I think of using an iPad, I envision me sitting on the couch relaxing, browsing the internet, using Facebook, keeping up with important emails, and of course hanging around here ;)

Or I envision me sticking it in my book bag heading to my first day of classes at college, knowing that I am prepared to be organized keeping track of assignments, due dates, and test dates with some great apps from the App Store.

I have my MacBook, I have my phone with a full qwerty keyboard and touchscreen and all that other jazz. The iPad could extend the experience, allowing me to NOT have to lug around a $1000 computer, or having to view full web pages on a little screen.

Nothing I will be doing is going to require me to carry around a USB-mandatory device. I do not need OS X, as I can get to that anyway with my MacBook. And try using iWork on an iPhone. HA right. . . the iPad is going to be a useful and must-have tool for me.

Reaction score
14. Did I mention that at a starting price of $499...couldn't the iPad be a "Mac-mini Killer"! Why the heck would you buy a Mac-Mini...that still needs a display, mouse, and keyboard!!!

Mac OS x that's why people will still get a Mac Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Mac OS x that's why people will still get a Mac Mini

Okay, but for someone new to Macs that does not have the necessary hardware probably isn't going to spend $600 then buy the hardware just for Mac OS X. They might seem it better fit to spend $500 on a no-maintenance-required, portable, and easy to use device. Someone buying a Mac Mini is also probably on a budget. So buying something $100 cheaper without having to get necessary hardware, has a similar GUI as the iPod/iPhone, and does pretty much everything else the Mac Mini can do besides play computer games and run the iLife Suite would make a first choice for someone. Seems like a Mac Mini killer there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And if you factor in that price wise
Mac Mini + Apple 24 inch display = cost of imac
Well the imac could cost a little less. So what the above said really has merrit. You'd have to look for a good buy really cheap non Apple screen to make getting a Mac Mini worth it. If not the ipad can do most of what most people need for as much more affordable price.

Reaction score
I want this middle device, I have an IMac, 23' display, iphone, macbook pro, since my wife converted to Mac my pro is hers. I need a display that looks good for displaying my photography on the fly. Also, the iphone is too small of a display to really to appreciate fine art. Imagine a 10mm wide angle lens shot on the iphone and being able to pinch to zoom. Again, Apple is focusing more on aesthetics and catering to the portable media, arts, entertainment, and now another book sales. Pretty smart marketing to pick up on the ebook crowd with a hands down multi-device that requires no brains to work.

Reaction score
I agree 100%. It's a big ITouch. I think it's cool technology but can't think of a reason I would want it. I have two Imac's in the house with a gorgeous screen and all the apps I want. I have an IPhone. So why would I want to lug this around? No camera so I can't video conference. No usb so I can't upload / download from a thumb drive. And a $2.50 paperback can be tossed on the car seat but this? Nope you need to carry it with you or it will be stolen. I just don't get it. And I currently have AT&T on my phone and the 3G is really poor where I live. So why would I want sucky edge network on this as well???
Sorry guys, I really want to believe. I just can't get past the idea of a laptop being better.

With all due respect to some in here. I think you are rather spoiled. Its nothing more then a big ipod touch? REALLY? personally I think the ipod touch was and is an awesome product. I think this product is going to fill a certain niche and not everyone is going to jump on it. Having said that I also think there will be improvements and all portable pcs will come in 2 flavors. One being your typical laptop as you know today and a touch version with all the bells and whistles you guys are saying it is missing. To add those currently would inflate the cost drastically and with the economy as it is right now I think they were wise to put it at the price point and feature set it is currently at. IM in the market for a laptop and will probably buy this when it debuts since it will do what I need and when it comes down to it that is all that really matters is if it does what YOU need then apple hit its target.

Reaction score
LOL, great picture.

I don't think it's very productive as a note taking device if I have to use the on screen keyboard. That's my main concern. I rather have a stylus pen and hand write.

I guess it comes down to your typing skills. I personally can type a lot faster then I can write on paper.

Reaction score
Do you speak for everyone when you say that? I would like to hear from the photographers, digital artist, and web designers who actually invest a lot of time designing and using flash for their website.

a full os? are you kidding? great we get its not for YOU. Operating systems are constantly being reinvented and frankly os like microsoft is a bunch of bloatware and require too much horse power. Inovation always has a beginning and your train of thought has you convinced that you need a bloated OS currently and current technology yes something require that but a lighter os or thin client is where it is going Period get use to it. It will get better and soon you wont need a "full OS' on a mobile device to do what you want to do.

Reaction score
I would suspect Apple would be smart enough to allow the music to be played in the background. But I do agree, with a device like that, there needs to be multi-tasking. Because of touch screen and large screen size, there should be enough real-esate for apps to be downsized to an iPhone/iPod's screen size, so you can run multiple (maybe only 2 or 3 at a time, but it's better than nothing) apps side-by-side.

Actually, that would be a neat feature, to be able to re-size and move your apps around on the desktop environment, somewhat like exposé, but with a twist ;)

Actually you can already do it in the ipod touch. I have just do it XD
first put your music, close music, and then open safari. the music keeps sounding till you open another audio in any other app. if the new app doesn't have audio you keep listening to the music

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes but one annoying web sound and your itunes music turns itself off. That's be so annoying. But if you dould disable any sounds from safari while you are listening to itunes music that'd fix the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.