Lion replacement for my note taking app

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've been using Sidenote for several years and love that app.

Great note taking app. It sits on the side of the screen, auto hides when not in use, no separate app window to open, close, move around, etc. And auto saves you data. Very simple very easy.

No workie with Lion. Won't even launch and doubt that it will be updated since he hasn't even made a post on his blog since '09.

As there are about 3 tons of note apps out there, thought perhaps someone could save me a bunch of looking. I'll pay for an app, but I don't need a $40 app like Yojimbo for what notes I take. So, what note taking apps are you all using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've been using Evernote for a few years now. Great app and free.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for Evernote. Free from the App store.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Evernote might be a good one for you because of its great syncing capabilities (and I know you have multiple devices).

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I love Evernote as well - but Safari 5.1 seems to have broken that for the moment....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love Evernote as well - but Safari 5.1 seems to have broken that for the moment....

Evernote is working on updates, they just posted on their blog. I don't really seem to be having any issues though with the desktop app.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Evernote is working on updates, they just posted on their blog. I don't really seem to be having any issues though with the desktop app.

Yes - they sent out an e-mail as well. The desktop app works just fine - I'm just mad at Safari 5.1 for a number of things - including breaking Evernote linkage temporarily. :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you talking about the clipper thing? They have a workaround for that right now, although I'm sure the actual extension will be better.

FWIW, it's not like these guys didn't know it was coming. Apple has been saying since 5.0 that everyone needs to make extensions, Evernote just chose to sit on their butts until they had to do it. :)

And mind you, I love them, I have even paid for premium service the last two years, but this is one case where they failed.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Downloaded and opened it. Haven't played with it yet. Looks awful fancy for the minimal amount of notes I make. But, I guess since I'l have 2 Macs now, it'd be nice to have something that will sync between the 2 of them.

First thing I need to do is boot back to my SL backup and get all my old notes out of Sidenote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it's also got iOS apps too.

It's great if you're out with and take a pic of a sign, menu, whatever. Evernote creates text recognition and makes the image searchable. It's pretty awesome.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you talking about the clipper thing? They have a workaround for that right now, although I'm sure the actual extension will be better.

FWIW, it's not like these guys didn't know it was coming. Apple has been saying since 5.0 that everyone needs to make extensions, Evernote just chose to sit on their butts until they had to do it. :)

And mind you, I love them, I have even paid for premium service the last two years, but this is one case where they failed.

Yes - the clipper - which I use very regularly. I like capturing either a paragraph or an entire web page with a single clip/click. I'll have to go look for the workaround - right now my work around is using another browser for certain things - at least temporarily.

Reaction score
It works in an entirely different way, but I really love:

ScrapIt Pro X ($25)
ScrapIt Pro X Description

You can copy and paste text into ScrapIt Pro X with one keystroke, and the program allows you to keeps a ton of stuff in it and still makes it quick and easy to find whatever you are looking for that you have stored.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks much. :) Just gave it a shot - it does work - but I hope they bring the old function of the menulet back soon. Much more refined. I'm really starting to think Safari 5.1 gave some of these developers a bigger hiccup than did Lion.

Yes, but if the devs would have sucked it up and built things correctly starting with 5.0, it all would still work. All the actual extensions I had with 5.0 still work just as before with 5.1.

Apple was very upfront with Safari devs saying that only Extensions would be supported and all these hack plugin things would cease to work in the future. Some listened, some didn't. It's not like they didn't have 2+ years of warning. :p

C

chas_m

Yes, but if the devs would have sucked it up and built things correctly starting with 5.0, it all would still work. All the actual extensions I had with 5.0 still work just as before with 5.1.

This bore repeating. :)

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After working on my Windows 7 machine dealing with it blue screening whenever I would connect my new eSATA toys to it all weekend... Both of which worked just fine on my Mac btw... And managed to salvage practically all the files from my failed server. When will I ever learn?

Finally got to try evernote last night. Booted back into SL, copy/pasted my notes from sidenote, booted to Lion, logged in to evernote and about 20 seconds later had all my notes. About 2 minutes later, I had them all synced on my iPhone and iPad also. Haven't done anything else with it yet, but that's pretty cool. :Cool:

1Password worked like a breeze also. Since I created the account in SL, synced it to my phone, then synced it in Lion. That was good because I'm sort of peeved at 1Passwords new feature that is forcing me to enter my master password everytime I want to use it in the browser when it is already sitting open in the dock.:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini

Apple was very upfront with Safari devs saying that only Extensions would be supported and all these hack plugin things would cease to work in the future. Some listened, some didn't. It's not like they didn't have 2+ years of warning. :p

I agree.
When are the Developers going to take OS update announcements seriously. They have had plenty of warnings and have been working with various versions of the OS during the development cycle.
I just don't get how you they are not prepared but it could just be me not understanding the developers point of view.

Just my 3 cents worth.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree.
When are the Developers going to take OS update announcements seriously.

Let's clarify though. This has nothing to do with Lion, nor any OS update. This is an update that is tied to Safari and once which Apple told developers about over 2 years ago when Safari 5.0 was released.

They had more than enough time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.