Looking for a PDA, not an iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I'm not sure if this is the ebst place to be asking this, snce i'm sure many are biased towards iPhones/iTouches, but i'm on the Verizon network, and i can't afford the data plans regardless. But i'm looking for a PDA i can sync up with my computer, organize my contacts and appointments, and have wireless internet on it via Wifi. Can anyone recommend a model/brand? I was looking into Palm, but they sort of dedicated their site to the new Pre and their line of smartphones, which is not what i need. Any opinions are appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I have an older Palm Tungsten T2 that I keep as a backup. My iPhone replaced it and a Motorola RAZR a few years back. The majority of my iPhone usage is just basic PIM and email, so I'm thinking of switching back when my AT&T contract expires. You can snag a good used Palm Tungsten on eBay for between $50 and $200 depending on the seller. I've replaced the batteries before and it's a snap. MarkSpace's MissingLink software works just fine for syncing iCal, Address Book, etc and even preserves color-coded calendars (which is nice). Good luck!
Dave

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Nevermind..you said you don't want a dataplan..

Regards

Reaction score
I was thinking BlackBerry all the way but you'll most likely need a data plan to cut down on the cost of buying the phone ufront. Blackberry are superior to iPhone in the PDA department IMO. Hope this helps.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys for your opinions. XJ-linux, i was looking at the Palm TX, i found it on ebay for $250, MarkSpace's MissingLink software work with Microsoft Entourage by any chance?

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My sister is asking for an iPod touch or Christmas, and i looked into it, and it has the wifi, email, and such. Could that be an alternative to the Palm TX? I would never use the ipod function of it, since it's too big and fragile for me, and i already have an ipod nano and shuffle. I basically need one for email, wifi, an organizer and address book. I saw it has the maps function, that would be useful. So what are your opinions, pay $190 for an iPod touch, or $250 for a Palm TX?

Reaction score
I have the Palm TX and it works great with my Mac. I had a pocket PC and since I use a Mac totally worthless. I love my Palm and I'm sure you will to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad & iphone 3G
I had the touch and it was great, very useful for most stuff. I originally had Verizon and didnt want to get the iPhone because I didnt think I needed or wanted the added phone and data feature. So I had the touch and my Verizon phone.

I now have an iPhone w/ AT&T....

be careful! lol

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have the Palm TX and it works great with my Mac. I had a pocket PC and since I use a Mac totally worthless. I love my Palm and I'm sure you will to.

I was reading they have a bunch of 3rd party apps for it, do you have any of these, and where can i get them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 2Gb, 160HDD & 10.6.2 / Aluminum Keybaord & Mighty Mouse / WD MyBook 1TB
Get a Blackberry with wifi hardware. I use my Blackberry with my Mac now that RIM finally freaking released a Desktop Manager application for the Mac to sync up the Berry with. The Tour, 8530 or old school 8830 all have wifi the Tour with wifi I believe is the model 9630.

OP
mknabster
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even if i did buy a blackberry, Verizon usually disables wifi, and they still charge a data plan for any smartphone. So i'm stuck there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.