Best Wireless Router

Reaction score
I'm a recent switcher to an iMac and am getting ready to purchase a wireless router for my home. I've been using an old linksys and the performance on the iMac and my ThinkPad is a bit poor. I'm also intrigued by the Time Capsule and will most likely buy one.

But first...
Does anyone use something other than an Airport for their Mac setup? Was it by choice or just (like me currently) out of convenience?

Reaction score
Pretty much any wireless router will work, it is sort of like dial tone for a phone. The Extreme is great, pricey but elegantly configured. The only thing you need to look at is the need for an "N" speed device. Your ThinkPad is probably "G" speed, if your iMac is also, then you can get a "G" speed router for less than 30 bucks.
Welcome aboard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I have a D-Link DIR-655, which is an 802.11n router, and it works great. I currently have a total of eight computers hooked up to it, three Macbooks, a Dell laptop and an iMac via wireless, and three connected via Ethernet. I also have an Xbox360, a Wii, and two iPhones hooked up to the router. So it's a very capable router, not to mention cheaper than an Airport Extreme.

OP
T
Reaction score
Kash,

The reviews for the Dlink are quite positive whereas I'm seeing a lot of mixed information on Airports and TC in particular.

Assuming that money isn't an option (I'm still giddy about Apple right now so I don't mind spending the money on their stuff), would you consider TC or just stick with your Dlink? I have an external 600gb NAS from my previous Dell PC and could still use Time Machine to back up to that, right?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Core Duo ! GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I have netgear wireless N range max that i am rather pleased with, it is NOT the weak link in my internet, the dsl is( it sucks living in the country, i want fios, **** i want t3)
it supports my 2 computers and my neighbor sometimes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Kash,

The reviews for the Dlink are quite positive whereas I'm seeing a lot of mixed information on Airports and TC in particular.

Assuming that money isn't an option (I'm still giddy about Apple right now so I don't mind spending the money on their stuff), would you consider TC or just stick with your Dlink? I have an external 600gb NAS from my previous Dell PC and could still use Time Machine to back up to that, right?

Thanks.

There's only one main feature that the Airport Extreme has over the D-Link, and that's the ability to use its USB port for plugging in external hard drives and printers. The DIR-655 has a USB port, but it's essentially useless.

I personally don't know whether Time Machine will work with a NAS, perhaps somebody else can answer that question.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ran into this thread looking for information about the DIR-655, which I just bought to replace my WRT54G.

Interestingly enough, I just ran into this tutorial for setting up an aftermarket NAS for Time Machine. I haven't tried it yet, but intend to soon and will let you know how it goes (I have a D-Link DNS-323 NAS).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.