Replacement Wireless Connection App?

Reaction score
Hey all, first post here on the forums. I'm a fairly new user of OSX, and had a question about something that irks me a little bit. When using the wireless connection app, it shows you a list of available networks. Great, pretty straightforward -- but is there an enhancment/add-on to it that shows you what type of network it is? So, for example, something that will tell you it's a wep or wpa vs open, or even just something that indicates whether it's open or not period?

Every other OS I've used (mostly been a Linux user for the past 10 years) will indicate this ... anyway to make OSX do the same?

Thanks,

-olly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you are using 10.4 then you can download a widget that will at least tell you if it is open or closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
There's a little tool that adds itself to the Airport icon in the menu bar. It's called WiFind, but I think it costs money. So if you want a free solution, then the widget is the way to go.

Fortunately, Leopard will have this functionality built into the Airport menu. Another one of those small features that will make the OS awesome :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
Check out CoconutWiFi 2 it pretty much covers exactly what you want.

OP
O
Reaction score
Fortunately, Leopard will have this functionality built into the Airport menu. Another one of those small features that will make the OS awesome :D

That actually solves the problem, as I planned on upgrading to leopard in the next couple months anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

-olly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.