Help! My macbookpro shutdown when i close the screen

Reaction score
Can anyone help me?? i recently got a macbook Pro. I used to use windows but switched.
my problem is, is that everytime i close the screen it turns off or goes into this hibernation mode. does anyone know how to get rid of that???

Reaction score
its supposed to... unless if course you have it plugged into an external monitor, keyboard and mouse

OP
T
Reaction score
macbook pro screen thingq

is there anyway to prevent or turn that off. I need to keep my macbook pro on while the screen is closed.

is there a way to at least keep the internet running while the screen is shut???

Reaction score
not to my knowledge, but someone may know of a program that keeps it on when its closed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Gloss, 2.4 GHz C2D, 4GB DDR2, 160 GB @ 7200 HDD, 256 MB 8600M GT
Hmmm..... I think I might have seen some software that will stop the mac from going into sleep mode or dimming the screen...

Try here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/

I'll see if I can track down the name of that software for you. I'll post up if I find it.

EDIT:
I found software that will stop your notebook from entering sleep or shutting off the monitor WITH THE SCREEEN OPEN. Unfortunately it doesn't stop from entering sleep while the screen is closed.

Name of the program is Caffeine, found here: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/caffeine.html

Reaction score
you don't need any apps to prevent it from sleep/screen shutoff when its open, just go into power preferences and slide the dials to never, however when its closed its a different story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
You aren't supposed to have it run with the lid closed because it can ruin the screen because of the heat.

T

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that if there really isn't a way to do it, it's because Apple doesn't want users closing their laptop thats still using battery, running a hard drive, and therefore producing heat, and then putting it into a nice cozy laptop bag where it can toast itself. Personally if you planned on taking it somewhere with you while the computer itself is still running I don't think it would be a good idea, unless your say, going from one class to another in a span of less than 10 mins.

Reaction score
You aren't supposed to have it run with the lid closed because it can ruin the screen because of the heat.

T

unfortunately that is wrong, that is only with the iBook serious, the Powerbook, Macbook, and Macbook Pro laptop lines are able to be closed and on, simply because they draw air in through the keyboards, rather than with the iBook where it dissipates heat through there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
How are they supposed to draw air in through the keyboard when the keyboard is closed tightly against the screen?
unfortunately that is wrong, that is only with the iBook serious, the Powerbook, Macbook, and Macbook Pro laptop lines are able to be closed and on, simply because they draw air in through the keyboards, rather than with the iBook where it dissipates heat through there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Sig...
It's not exactly an airtight seal, by any means...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD

I found this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300562

However I would think if the lid is closed you aren't drawing enough air in to cool the laptop down, regardless of airtight seal or not...

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I would certainly not recommend transporting a laptop in a bag or case while it's powered on. There's just no way it could cool itself effectively. It's not at all like having it sit on a desk with air circulating around it.

For that reason, I'd be very careful if you disable the automatic sleep function. It's just too easy to close the laptop and forget that it's on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.