iPad, IAnnotate and note taking

Reaction score
Hi all, new user here.

I am in desperate need of a tablet device that I am able to take handwritten notes on while in lectures.

The most important feature I need is that I can access pdf files on the device and write over the top of them - and when i come back to them a few days later my handwritten notes will be there. Now I know that there is an app Iannotate that you can do this on the iPad, however my major concern is the ease of which you can handwrite.

Watching reviews on youtube... it seems you need to keep your hand off the screen while using an iPad stylus - this would be very uncomfortable and I could not deal with this.

Has anyone used the ipad to take handwritten notes in lectures? is iAnnotate the way to go? how easy is it to use the stylus and write neatly - can you rest your palm/wrist/hand on the screen? I'm worried about the device picking that up as well since it is multi touch.

Thanks in advance

GNR

Reaction score
Hi all, new user here.

I am in desperate need of a tablet device that I am able to take handwritten notes on while in lectures.

The most important feature I need is that I can access pdf files on the device and write over the top of them - and when i come back to them a few days later my handwritten notes will be there. Now I know that there is an app Iannotate that you can do this on the iPad, however my major concern is the ease of which you can handwrite.

Watching reviews on youtube... it seems you need to keep your hand off the screen while using an iPad stylus - this would be very uncomfortable and I could not deal with this.

Has anyone used the ipad to take handwritten notes in lectures? is iAnnotate the way to go? how easy is it to use the stylus and write neatly - can you rest your palm/wrist/hand on the screen? I'm worried about the device picking that up as well since it is multi touch.

Thanks in advance

There are several apps that allow annotation of pdfs. If you are willing to invest amodest amount, buy three or four and see which is better for you. They allare a little different.

Look at pdf expet, iannotate, goodreader, readledocs and noterize. I have these. Probably others

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing benedge.
From what I understand (from research), the ipad screen is not accurate enough to take 100% hand written notes with. I would like someone who has actually tried to write lecture notes to confirm/deny this.

This is reason enough to have me wait for the ipad 2 and hope for more refined touch screen and drivers.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
As for note taking, the apps Notes Plus and Note Taker HD look very promising. I've not tried either of them out though. But those seem to address the issue of problems that might occur with accidental writing with your palm of your hand, etc, when writing on the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, Acer second display 1TB Iomega HD, iPad 32GB wifi, iphone 4, sprint overdrive
Note Taker HD sounds like what you need

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.