iMac for College

Reaction score
Finishing my first year going into my second year of college, also taking advantage of the apple itouch deal, i want to buy an apple computer. As well as being a gamer, WoW, i need an honest answer does WoW work on a Mac well or poorly? If yes, it works pretty decent to yes it works great, then i know purchasing a Macbook Pro is a good deal for its graphic card, however i dont have to money but i can reach the iMac, 24-inch best model. This isnt really great any ways because of the portable, so my iMac stays in my dorm room :(

Any comments on gaming on a laptop? I heard it is horrible....
Thanks for the repiles.

Cheers.

Reaction score
yo your post is really confusing because you don't use proper english so if you could fix it I'm sure more people would be able to understand what you are asking and respond accordingly.

Reaction score
yo your post is really confusing because you don't use proper english so if you could fix it I'm sure more people would be able to understand what you are asking and respond accordingly.

Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill lol. I can understand him, and im sure everyone else can understand him.

Back on topic:

I cant really answer your question regarding WOW on the imac, but i do believe that it does work on mac, so i presume itll work on your imac.

OP
P
Reaction score
umm ok well thanks for the reply, if anyone with experience with WoW on an iMac or anymore detailed info. would be great. I been looking on youtube about iMacs and so far most seem to run it ok while others face constant freezes and so forth...

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
Wow easily runs a my old powerbook g4 1.5 ghz. It runs wonderfully on the any new iMac as long as you get a 256+ video card

Reaction score
I imagine you'll be fine as long as you get a mac with an optional video card. The 8600gt in the MBP runs WoW fine, and the 8800GS in the 3.06Ghz iMac will be even faster. I think people were claiming ~40-60fps at native res on the iMac.

Your bigger concern should be whether or not you want a portable. A couple of years ago when I was back in school, I sold off my desktop for a laptop because I was going to class and the library with it all the time. When I started working, I've had little need for a laptop and reverted to a desktop (iMac) for the big screen and bang for the buck performance.

OP
P
Reaction score
I imagine you'll be fine as long as you get a mac with an optional video card. The 8600gt in the MBP runs WoW fine, and the 8800GS in the 3.06Ghz iMac will be even faster. I think people were claiming ~40-60fps at native res on the iMac.

Your bigger concern should be whether or not you want a portable. A couple of years ago when I was back in school, I sold off my desktop for a laptop because I was going to class and the library with it all the time. When I started working, I've had little need for a laptop and reverted to a desktop (iMac) for the big screen and bang for the buck performance.

I have that same concern on it being portable however, the reason why i even though about switching over to mac is because of my year old vista laptop that crashed/corrupted twice already. So to get to the point, i returned my laptop to get a new HDD and im buying an iMac (24-inch) as my desktop for my dorm and my laptop for class and such...

THANKS ALOT FOR THE INFO, really helpful.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/t...D85A9B183F7.app11_07?topicId=4028094861&sid=1

The iMac model immediately prior to yours appears to have no problem with framerate, so I would imagine the one you're getting should pose no problem.

The only major problem left in the Mac version is some bug with how OpenGL handles full screen glow in tandem with multisampling that causes massive performance decrease. However, it appears that the good folks at Blizzard have even found a way to make that a thing of the past:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=6136345365&sid=1

That said, the 10.5.3 update to Leopard introduced some NVIDIA-related problems with vsync, multisampling and full screen, so if the computer comes preloaded with a Leopard version prior to 10.5.3, only upgrade to as high as 10.5.2 for now. Blizzard is working with Apple to iron out the 10.5.3 problems in the mean time.
Good hunting.

Reaction score
I have that same concern on it being portable however, the reason why i even though about switching over to mac is because of my year old vista laptop that crashed/corrupted twice already. So to get to the point, i returned my laptop to get a new HDD and im buying an iMac (24-inch) as my desktop for my dorm and my laptop for class and such...

THANKS ALOT FOR THE INFO, really helpful.

Cheers.

I'm running a similar setup as you propose - Windows laptop for work/travel, iMac 24" for home. It seems fine so far - I can transfer/share files over the network, use the same backup/NAS drive, and run boot camp/Fusion for whatever Windows apps I need at home. I think you'll be quite happy with the iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.