Streaming video from iphone 4 to Apple Tv2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
So I was under the impression that ios 4.2 would allow me to stream videos shot on my iphone 4 to my tv via Apple Tv....so far as I can tell this is not the case, only pictures can be streamed "in terrible quality by the way" using airplay. Am I missing something guys, or is this in fact the case? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You need to update the ATV 2 to v4.1 for it to work. I've been streaming video and YouTube from my phone all evening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
And not all apps support streaming over AirPlay. Hulu does not and Netflix will only let you stream audio, not video.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
And not all apps support streaming over AirPlay. Hulu does not and Netflix will only let you stream audio, not video.

I'm hopeful the Hulu Plus app will support AirPlay, that will be the deciding factor in getting an ATV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm hopeful the Hulu Plus app will support AirPlay, that will be the deciding factor in getting an ATV.

Doubtful that it will given licensing restrictions. Same with Netflix.

But, Netflix is already on the ATV, and I've heard that Hulu Plus will be coming at some point.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doubtful that it will given licensing restrictions. Same with Netflix.

But, Netflix is already on the ATV, and I've heard that Hulu Plus will be coming at some point.

I've been trying to find any article hinting, if/when Hulu Plus is coming to ATV, only to find sites showing how to hack ATV to get Hulu Plus.

Do you remember what site mentioned this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been trying to find any article hinting, if/when Hulu Plus is coming to ATV, only to find sites showing how to hack ATV to get Hulu Plus.

Do you remember what site mentioned this?

I asked Hulu on Twitter and they said they're working on it. But no timeframe yet. I would guess early next year.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh sweet! I tried looking to Hulu's discussion board for hints, but it's a hot mess and hard to search. I guess, I'll be getting an ATV soon!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can you get regular hulu on the new ATV?

I've been desperately trying to find a way to move my HTPC to another room and have a device that will stream what I want to the TV. Every device I find except for a computer, I have to give up something.

OP
tdll1313
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 inch iMac i5 2.66 quad core processor. iPhone 4 32 gig, ATV2. MPB 17' quadcore
Yes I have the newest software for both the ATV2 and iPhone but I would specifically like to know if you can stream video that you recorded on your iPhone i.e., my family at Disneyland. Not youtube or other media. Just my own video recordings. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I have the newest software for both the ATV2 and iphone but I would specifically like to know if you can stream video that you recorded on your iphone i.e., my family at disneyland. Not youtube or other media. Just my own video recordings. Thanks.

If it will play on your phones iPod it will play streamed to the ATV2.

It looks like video can't be streamed from Apps like VLC, at least not yet. I've tried Video in both .mv4 and other formats and while the audio streams, the video won't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you get regular hulu on the new ATV?

I've been desperately trying to find a way to move my HTPC to another room and have a device that will stream what I want to the TV. Every device I find except for a computer, I have to give up something.

No, Hulu is only allowing Hulu Plus on non-computer devices without hacking them.

Reaction score
If it will play on your phones iPod it will play streamed to the ATV2.

Unfortunately, not the case. For some insane reason, they have not included this killer app of what seems so obvious, streaming videos you captured from your iPhone to your ATV.

Yes I have the newest software for both the ATV2 and iPhone but I would specifically like to know if you can stream video that you recorded on your iPhone i.e., my family at Disneyland. Not youtube or other media. Just my own video recordings. Thanks.

Nope, you can't. At least not yet. Crazy right?!?

Here's a thread on Apple's support forums about this: Apple - Support - Discussions - Record Video on iPhone - Stream to ...

I also saw an article recently on a blog detailing this omission but can't find it now. The quote from Jobs is telling, note that he mentions only viewing photos you take, not videos, on your ATV: "The update to iOS 4.2 brings to the iPad brings all the same features of iPhone," said Jobs, "including HDR photos."

Reaction score
You can use airplay to show pictures from your iphone to your tv (via the ATV2) instantly. Videos on your iphone will not work, yet. It is supposed to be coming. I think there is a 4.3 update in the future and my guess is thats when we will get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, not the case. For some insane reason, they have not included this killer app of what seems so obvious, streaming videos you captured from your iPhone to your ATV.

Yep, that is completely retarded.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.