• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Couldn't find a Mac to buy if my life depended on it.. (Rant Thread)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Okay, maybe not as bad as the title makes it sound, but pretty darn close. I've been looking for a Mac on my local craigslist for the past month and a half now, and all I can say is the pickings for Macs on here are slim to none. I've got a budget of about $450-$500. Pretty massive amount of cash as far as I'm concerned. But even after placing want ads, looking at other retailers in the state (Maine if you're wondering) finding a Mac in this area short of driving 100+ miles to the Apple Store in Portland, is darn near impossible.

The few Macs that I have found in my budget range are all either the older Core Duo's, or have that Intel 950 GMA graphics in them, which will no doubt be unable to accomplish the tasks that I do on a regular basis. Why can't I just find a late '07 or early '08 MacBook? Is that really too much to ask?

Also, before anybody suggests Ebay or Amazon, that's not an option for me. Believe me I've looked there too, but I have no credit card, no paypal, and I don't want some guy in Algeria claiming to have a MacBook Pro for $400 to wind up with all of my money and I never receive anything in the mail.

This is bit of a pointless thread, I know, but I just really needed to vent. This PC is ready to be thrown out the window at any moment, and I'll have nothing to replace it with. :Shouting:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without a credit card or PayPal, you're going to have a difficult time buying anything except by cash. Buying with cash leaves you with absolutely no buyer protection. But you already know that, right?

As far as finding Macs for sale, come to my area here in Dallas - Fort Worth. Craig's List and local Green Sheets are loaded with them. I'm even thinking of selling my immaculate 2008 MacBook so I can buy an iPad. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm even thinking of selling my immaculate 2008 MacBook so I can buy an iPad. :)

Ugh...ooh...somebody's "itching" for an iPad!;)

I'm seeing an iPad (2 or 3) in my near future!:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Evan, do remember a late 2007 Macbook has an x3100 Graphics controller. It's better than the GMA950 but nothing much.

What do you normally do that a GMA950 won't do well? My late 2007 Macbook does everything I throw at it so far. No demanding games but I don't use a notebook for them anyway! :D

I found this machine (C2D 2.16Ghz, 4GB RAM, SL) for $350. I would point you to a few good deals but all need a Credit Card or Pay Pal.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Evan, do remember a late 2007 Macbook has an x3100 Graphics controller. It's better than the GMA950 but nothing much.

What do you normally do that a GMA950 won't do well? My late 2007 Macbook does everything I throw at it so far. No demanding games but I don't use a notebook for them anyway! :D

I found this machine (C2D 2.16Ghz, 4GB RAM, SL) for $350. I would point you to a few good deals but all need a Credit Card or Pay Pal.

Really the only game I play on a regular basis is Minecraft. And the PC I'm using right now has a graphic chip extremely similar to the Intel GMA 950. (64MB undedicated) and it runs Minecraft like crap, but still playable. I figured at absolute minimum, the X3100 would do.

Plus I'd love the option to upgrade to 6GB instead of 3GB of ram.

Buying with cash leaves you with absolutely no buyer protection. But you already know that, right?

Yes I know, but it's far easier and less of a headache when using cash. Besides, I'll usually test something (if possible) before I buy it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been looking for a Mac on my local craigslist for the past month and a half now, and all I can say is the pickings for Macs on here are slim to none. I've got a budget of about $450-$500. Pretty massive amount of cash as far as I'm concerned. But even after placing want ads, looking at other retailers in the state (Maine if you're wondering) finding a Mac in this area short of driving 100+ miles to the Apple Store in Portland, is darn near impossible.

First off...I don't know exactly where in Maine you are located...and I don't know what sort of transportation options you have...but...if you live near & can travel to other areas near you...then search those areas as well on Craig's List.

For example...other than my "home city/town" Craig's List listing...there are several separate Craig's List city/town listings near me that I occasionally search as well. I mentioned in a post I made last night...that I drove 120 miles one-way (240 miles round trip) to purchase my current Mac Pro (got a terrific price on it).

I'm not saying you need or should drive that far...but if there are Craig's Listing communities say up to 20-25 miles away...or more (and you have transportation to go that far)...search those Craig's List areas as well.

- Nick

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First off...I don't know exactly where in Maine you are located...and I don't know what sort of transportation options you have...but...if you live near & can travel to other areas near you...then search those areas as well on Craig's List.

For example...other than my "home city/town" Craig's List listing...there are several separate Craig's List city/town listings near me that I occasionally search as well. I mentioned in a post I made last night...that I drove 120 miles one-way (240 miles round trip) to purchase my current Mac Pro (got a terrific price on it).

I'm not saying you need or should drive that far...but if there are Craig's Listing communities say up to 20-25 miles away...or more (and you have transportation to go that far)...search those Craig's List areas as well.

- Nick

Transportation is fine. I'd be willing to drive 120mi at this point.

Also, there is one Maine craigslist. I know what you're talking about though, like different cities/towns categories? Maine doesn't have that, there's just "maine craigslist" so listings could be as far as 300 miles away one way, you never know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, there is one Maine craigslist. I know what you're talking about though, like different cities/towns categories? Maine doesn't have that, there's just "maine craigslist" so listings could be as far as 300 miles away one way, you never know.

Ahh yes...I see. I just checked Maine...and like you said...just one listing for the whole state.

Too bad you're not closer to Boston...or you would have all sorts of stuff to choose from!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way...what's wrong with this?:

2011 Mac Mini...too much $$$ (might be able to negotiate with the seller on the price)?

And what about this refurbished Mac-mini from the Apple online Store?:

Refurbished Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

I know that you don't have a credit card...but there must be some way to make this work. $519 + tax would seem doable with your budget!:)

- Nick

I already talked to the guy about that Mac Mini. It would be perfect, I would barely even need to travel, but he won't budge past $600.

That Mac Mini from the Apple store would be prefect though...If only I could get some kind of online payment thing set up...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already talked to the guy about that Mac Mini. It would be perfect, I would barely even need to travel, but he won't budge past $600.

This guys Craig's List listing didn't give all the specs of the Mac-mini he has for sale. Depending on what cpu & gpu it has. $650 seems sort of high compared to the new/refurbished Mac-Mini prices at the Apple online store. Unless it's a top-end Mac-Mini.

Mac Mini from the Apple store would be prefect though...If only I could get some kind of online payment thing set up...

Why not call Apple...and see if there are any alternative payment methods? Money order, cashier's check, gift card, debit card...something.

You've got the cash (or almost all of it)...there's got to be a way to make it work.:)

What about using a trusted relatives credit card? You give your relative the cash...and they order it for you using their credit card.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am leaving my Macbook at 4GB for now as I am a big fan of Dual Channel RAM and that only works with a matched pair. Mine can take one 4 and one 2 for 6GB.

Good luck. If I see anything I will let you know. That refurb one at apple Nick found looks good if you can work something out payment wise.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You would think you could order it at your local Apple store and pay cash for it there.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You would think you could order it at your local Apple store and pay cash for it there.

Wouldn't that be nice...

I just got off the phone with a guy who has a 2.2GHz "BlackBook" late '07 model.

Still have to get all the details about when we can meet, and I'm waiting for him to call back, but he said he'd take $400 for it. So far so good.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW, my machine in Black! Very cool. Keep us posted!!! Good luck!

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW, my machine in Black! Very cool. Keep us posted!!! Good luck!

Thanks Dennis, let's hope everything goes smoothly. And believe me, you guys will be the first ones to know about it. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wouldn't that be nice...

I just got off the phone with a guy who has a 2.2GHz "BlackBook" late '07 model.

Still have to get all the details about when we can meet, and I'm waiting for him to call back, but he said he'd take $400 for it. So far so good.

Sounds like a reasonable deal...good luck!:)

- Nick

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it took a week but I am now the very proud owner of a 2.2GHz Black MacBook. Complete with 4GB of ram, a 160GB HD and OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

:D Finally! I'll never touch another PC as long as I live...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it took a week but I am now the very proud owner of a 2.2GHz Black MacBook. Complete with 4GB of ram, a 160GB HD and OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

:D Finally! I'll never touch another PC as long as I live...

Congratulations!!!:) What the heck took so long?...I expected to hear that this deal went thru a week ago!;)

- Nick

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulations!!!:) What the heck took so long?...I expected to hear that this deal went thru a week ago!;)

- Nick

I just picked it up a few hours ago. He was really far away, so we had to meet while he was in the area. (told me he was going to meet a friend, so he met us along the way there)

I'm just glad to finally be using a Mac again. :D It's in really nice condition. Couple scuffs here and there but nothing I really care about in the least. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.