What software do I use?

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to develope dvds that can hold photos, movies and music. But the trick is I dont want it to run through every frame but stop on each photo and stay there until toggled on to the next one with the remote in a sequencial order.

The same for the movies, when toggled to from the previous photo or movie it stops until prompted to play via the remote.

Is there any software like this available for the Mac?

Many Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
I'm pretty sure that if you just burn them to disc as Data, when you put the dvd in a player, you will need to use the remote to move to the next image/movie.
Very simple way of doing it, but that's about all you need to do.

C

chas_m

Normal DVD players don't support this.

Data DVDs could do what you're asking to do, but can only be used on a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Normal DVD players don't support this.

Data DVDs could do what you're asking to do, but can only be used on a computer.

My DVD player will read them. If you have a DVD player that reads Jpg's from a disc it isn't usually an issue.

C

chas_m

I also have a DVD player that supports reading JPGs (and DIVX, and PAL for that matter), but not all DVD players do (most don't, in fact).

OP
U
Reaction score
Hmmm . . .

So is there a way around this?

I want to be able to write over the photos and add my own quirky backgrounds behind some photos and be read by all DVDs

Thanks guys for your feedback so far

C

chas_m

So is there a way around this?

Not without spending a ton of money.

I want to be able to write over the photos and add my own quirky backgrounds behind some photos and be read by all DVDs

Thanks guys for your feedback so far

It sounds like what you want to do is create a slideshow comprising (altered) photos and movie clips, then put this on a DVD.

If that's the idea, then this is quite easy to do using Keynote (part of iWork). You create a Keynote slideshow (with all the backgrounds, captions and clips you want), tweak it to your heart's delight, then save it as a movie. Then bring the movie into iDVD and create a DVD.

This will give you a DVD that will work on most DVD players, but will play like a movie; you can pause it using the remote, but you can't use the remote as a "next slide please" pointer. The original Keynote presentation can do that, but you can only play that on a computer.

If you want a DVD that will work on ALL dvd players, you'll have to create your own "master" DVD and take that to a professional DVD duplication service to have copies made that are not "home-burned."

Long story short: home-burned DVDs use dye changes to make 1s and 0s the DVD player or computer can read; commercial DVD use tiny pits in the surface. This is why some DVD players can read home-burned DVDs and some can't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks Chas for taking the time out to tell me all of this. It is much apreciated.

Yes thats exactly what I want is something that will wait on each frame until ordered to proceed to the next via a remote.

So Keynote is out then?

I was also thinking flash might be out too even though you can create individual frames with stops.

What software would you or anyone recommend? Pretending cost was not a problem but if there was a cheaper one or free one what would that be?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chas for taking the time out to tell me all of this. It is much apreciated.

Yes thats exactly what I want is something that will wait on each frame until ordered to proceed to the next via a remote.

So Keynote is out then?

I was also thinking flash might be out too even though you can create individual frames with stops.

What software would you or anyone recommend? Pretending cost was not a problem but if there was a cheaper one or free one what would that be?

Many thanks

Did you not look at my link?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.