• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Help Out a B. B. King Fan

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
A while back I downloaded a four disc B. B. King compilation called "80 Songs" from the iTunes Music Store. Somehow the track information has gotten scrambled such that I have six or seven tracks listed as Track 1,

Apparently this set is no longer in the Music Store for me to pull the track info. Could someone with this collection please post the track listing for each of the four discs? Google has been little or no help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like an iTunes only compilation for his 80th birthday a few years ago.

Have an iDevice that doesn't have that album synced but have it available in the cloud?

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That sounds like the right collection. Unfortunately I don't have it synched to the cloud. I have a backup of the library but the information is probably screwy in that as well. I've had a few problems with the library lately.

The first time I downloaded that set the track information was screwed up from the jump. I only noticed because several songs had incorrect titles. Shortly after that they posted correct information but the collection no longer seems to be available through ITMS.

I have a hard copy on DVD of part of the library. It was made a few years ago. Perhaps the information is there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am going to check into this. If I find anything I will let you know. I am a big fan of BB King.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
BB King 80 still shows up for sale here in the ITunes store. You say yours is 4 CD's? This says BB King 80 and it's 13 songs. Is yours a different item? The 80 here is celebrating his 80th Birthday. What is the exact title of your set?

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am going to check into this. If I find anything I will let you know. I am a big fan of BB King.

Thanks. I knew there was a reason I liked you. I'm going to look through the old backup I have on DVD tomorrow to see if the info is there.

I have also noticed recently that if I attempt to re-download the "Chronicles" box set from the iTunes Store there are two or three songs that consistently don't download. iTunes complains with a network error of some sort.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BB King 80 still shows up for sale here in the ITunes store. You say yours is 4 CD's? This says BB King 80 and it's 13 songs. Is yours a different item? The 80 here is celebrating his 80th Birthday. What is the exact title of your set?

That's a different collection of a dozen or so songs entitled "80". This causes some confusion because the collection I have with messed up info is entitled "80 Songs". Hence the confusion. See attached artwork

80 Songs.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very interesting. What was BB King Chronicles you mentioned? Found it on Amazon but it's a Box set of CD's.

Chronicles seems to be these 3 in one set.

Live At The Regal/Blues Is King/Live In Cook County Jail

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW, that is a rare collection! Can't find that exact title anywhere!

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very interesting. What was BB King Chronicles you mentioned? Found it on Amazon but it's a Box set of CD's.

Chronicles seems to be these 3 in one set.

Live At The Regal/Blues Is King/Live In Cook County Jail

Here's the iTunes Preview link to my "Chronicles" set. It looks like it's the same set that you found on Amazon.

While going through the iTunes listings I discovered some of his work I had not seen in the store before.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW, that is a rare collection! Can't find that exact title anywhere!

I assume you mean the 80 Songs collection I am looking for info on? Yeah it seems to be. Didn't realize it at the time. I did find the track list but as you can see they out all track 1's together, then track 2's etc. I assume the first track 1 is from disc1, the second from disc 2 etc. That doesn't match with the way iTunes seems to have had it but I may just go with that.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume you mean the 80 Songs collection I am looking for info on? Yeah it seems to be. Didn't realize it at the time. I did find the track list but as you can see they out all track 1's together, then track 2's etc. I assume the first track 1 is from disc1, the second from disc 2 etc. That doesn't match with the way iTunes seems to have had it but I may just go with that.

Yes that one. That is strange. What I used to do way back in iTunes is go in manually under Info for each track and change the info to my liking.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that is what I'l do. This isn't one of those concept albums where track order is important.

I thought I was going to have to do that when I first downloaded this collection. The titles of several tracks were wrong. Quite confusing. The Apple fanboy in me kept saying "Surely they didn't mess up something as basic as track titles". The B. B King fan in me kept saying "That's not the right title". I eventually re-downloaded the tracks when they fixed the error.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder why they dropped it from the store. Oh well. :D

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's happened with a few other artists that I have in my collection. There was a collection of folk music produced by Vanguard that was in the store at one time. It included artists such as Woody Guthrie and Cisco Huston.

That collection has also disappeared for whatever reason. Funny thing is last time I checked two or three songs were still there but the rest of the album is gone.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Didn't think there was anyone left that listened to Woody Guthrie 'ceptin' me.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably a side effect of being well on the way to being a fossil.

I first heard some of his stuff when they made us sing some of the songs in music class. Several years later I heard Arlo's "Alice's Restaurant" and started backtracking some of the music and Woody's name kept popping up.

About the only thing I don't listen to much is classical and opera.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was put out by Geffen, now merged with... I forget.

Rdio has it - but tracks are numbered from 1-80

Here's a copy for sale with track list.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was put out by Geffen, now merged with... I forget.

Here's a copy for sale with track list.

Master spambuster and Google master too. The closest I found to that list last night was the listing I linked to above. Is there anything you don't do?

Thanks. This will save me a ton of time.

C

chas_m

As the friend of a number of licensing executives, I can shed some light on the whole "not in the iTunes Store anymore" business, perhaps.

Although THE most beautiful thing about the iTunes Music Store is that nothing, not even the least-popular Tiny Tim record, need EVER go out of print ... titles disappear (and sometimes reappear) from the store all the time.

USUALLY, this is down to one of four factors:

1. Artist discovers albums he/she doesn't want sold per-song (or just sold in the iTunes Store period) and kicks up a fuss with the record company. Van Morrison (bless 'im) pulled that one on iTunes a couple of times ...

2. Rights-holder decide to sell their catalog to a different record company, or same record company decides existing releases need refurbishment (remastered? repackaged? bonus tracks? iTunes LP? etc) and thus previous version sometimes goes POOF until the new version reappears. This has happened with Bowie releases, for example.

3. Record company puts something out without checking that they have the rights to do so digitally, then discovers that it is in question (usually via artist's lawyer). See Eminem.

4. Much less frequently, family/ex-band members/etc legal disputes require that catalog be withdrawn until rights are cleared up.

There are other reasons (like rights holder going out of business, for example), but these are some of the most common.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.