The Wireless Aluminum Keyboard

Reaction score
I have a older iMac, and in the next month or so I'm going to buy a new one. I looked in stores to get a feel of the new hardware, one thing troubles me. The Aluminum keyboard is great, it's sleek, responsive, and just feels overall good. All of these are the pros, the cons are big hits for me; Missing a num-pad, and it's simply way to small for my hands. So Does anyone have a alternative that still contains the mac keyset so I don't have to stare at a ugly windows logo.

I would prefer a larger keyboard, at least 18in min. I like the sleek, nice design of the Apple keyboard, It needs to have a numberpad, Wired/wireless is not a important matter, but I prefer a wireless that works NICELY with the iMac.

Please do tell me if anyone knows of a keyboard that fits this description.

C

chas_m

There are simply DOZENS of third-party keyboards for the Mac that include the number pad if you want.

BTW I'm writing this to you using the bt apple keyboard you mentioned. My hands are huge. Unless you're the guy who played Chewbacca in Star Wars, I assure you this keyboard is just as full-size as any other except for the "missing" num pad.

I too thought I "needed" a num pad when I got this. You know what? I didn't. Most non-accountant/bookkeepers probably don't as much as they think they do either.

Still, there are a) third-party add-on num pads that can attach to the Apple keyboard, or as I say you can just buy a Mac-friendly third-party keyboard (wired or wireless) with a number pad. Your choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I use this one for my desktop...

http://matias.ca/tactilepro/

It's a high quality clicker, which I prefer.

But I use the aluminum wireless on my Mini because I can walk around and control the entertainment center with it. Works great, but I can't speed type on it to any extent due to a lifetime of using long keystroke keyboards.

IMO, the best keyboard ever was the IBM 122 key clicker. Heavy, big keys, full numberpad, built like a battleship with a lifespan measured in centuries, works on everything from DOS to Windoze to Lion. Only drawback is missing a couple of OSX specific keys. I still use it for heads down text entry.

Lots of options out there for you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Apple Full Sized Wired USB keyboard is 17+ Inches long. I do not find the keys besides the travel any different than any other keyboard and I can literally fly on it. Took a couple of days to get used to it and after that, it's my favorite.

Reaction score
After a while you don't even notice that the number keypad is missing, though at work, I do use the number pad quite often, but at home, mainly just use numbers when doing my banking. Miss the backspace key more than the number keypad, actually. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a older iMac, and in the next month or so I'm going to buy a new one. I looked in stores to get a feel of the new hardware, one thing troubles me. The Aluminum keyboard is great, it's sleek, responsive, and just feels overall good. All of these are the pros, the cons are big hits for me; Missing a num-pad...

Here's the "older" wired version of the aluminum keyboard (with number pad):

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
MB110LL

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.