New Macbook Misprint

Reaction score
Short and quick, Apple is misadvertising. Steve Jobs and even this page said that the illuminated keyboard would only be available on the 2.4Ghz Macbook. Why then does the 2.0Ghz Macbook also say that it has an illuminated keyboard? This goes against what Apple said. Take a look at the page for yourself.

Apple Store (U.S.) - Configure

This snippet from the Apple Macbook Description page proves what they said.

Apple - MacBook - Features

Even the keyboard is advanced.

The MacBook keyboard is solid, responsive, and comfortable. Just put your fingers on the crisp keys and you’ll feel pure typing bliss. An illuminated keyboard, a popular feature of MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, now comes standard on the 2.4GHz MacBook model.

If Apple doesn't address this problem then people may be tricked into buying the less expensive 2.0Ghz model thinking they are still getting a backlit-keyboard. This has already happened to many so don't let it happen to you. If Steve and their description page say the same thing then the Macbook Store page must be incorrect.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good point. I notice the store is offline. Maybe they are fixing that error.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Interesting, store is back up and that is still there under the low end macbook.

Reaction score
When you read the tech support it's says that it got back up light in the keyboard, not thats it only on better macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
What does Intel do in a Mac?
A hole lot more then in a PC

Is that on purpose??

OP
L
Reaction score
I checked back and it seems to be fixed now. The problem is I have a feeling that a ton of people saw this, didn't hear what Steve Jobs said and bought it thinking they can get backlit keyboards on the low-end Macbook. Apple's going to be getting some complaints when these people realize the feature isn't there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Ahaaa... dirty tricksters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Alum. Macbook
I'm glad mines got it ;) misleading though

OP
L
Reaction score
Did you order it when there was a misprint and got the backlit keyboard because of it? That'd be interesting...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz Dual Core 15" MBP | 2.2GHz Quad-Core i7 17" MBP | iPod Classic 32GB | iPod Touch 64GB
I checked back and it seems to be fixed now. The problem is I have a feeling that a ton of people saw this, didn't hear what Steve Jobs said and bought it thinking they can get backlit keyboards on the low-end Macbook. Apple's going to be getting some complaints when these people realize the feature isn't there.

I believe now days people do research on electronics before they purchase it. So I'm sure they went to the store or did some searching online before they bought the computer. I'm like that and I notice from being on YouTube a lot that many people also do it but if you're one of the ones that just read something on the companies page and buy it without doing your research maybe this will be your chance to realize you can't always believe what you first see. No, a company should preview over what they put out many times before they do put it out but of course they're humans too so they also mis-read things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz Dual Core 15" MBP | 2.2GHz Quad-Core i7 17" MBP | iPod Classic 32GB | iPod Touch 64GB

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
seemed pretty clear to me. if i'm reading documentation on a new car, and i'm looking at a base model with a 2.0L 4cyl and something says, a paddle shifter is standard on the 2.4L "GT" model, i'm going to be pretty sure mine will probably only have a 5sp manual or automatic transmission.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
It doesn't seem misleading at all. They say point blank that it's available on the 2.4Ghz macbooks, and if you look at the tech specs it specifies that only the 2.4 has the illuminated keyboard. I don't see the typo you're talking about.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't seem misleading to me at all. I read the Apple Store's macbook ad, and then bought a 2.4Ghz macbook because I wanted, among other things, a backlit keyboard.

The day the new Macbooks were released on the Apple Store there was a mistake that said both had a backlighted keyboard. That misprint is gone and was probably that day. It was misleading at the time for some who saw the misprint.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It doesn't seem misleading at all. They say point blank that it's available on the 2.4Ghz macbooks, and if you look at the tech specs it specifies that only the 2.4 has the illuminated keyboard. I don't see the typo you're talking about.

There was a typo on the website when they first released the new MB and MBP. I don't know when they fixed it but they obviously fixed it because they were getting complaints.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Gotcha. I guess I never saw that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.