Problems after update to OS X 10.6.8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I am a relative newbie to macs and this is the first problem I have encountered.

I was prompted to upgrade the OS X yesterday to 10.6.8 so this I did.

During the process I was prompted to perform a manual restart by holding down the power button and then restarting.

Following the restart, I got an error message: Finder quit unexpectedly.
On clicking "OK" the same error window appears ad infinitum (actually, I got fed up clicking after about 30 tries).

Most programs won't load; and in the ones that do, I can't type any text as the error box takes priority for text entry.

I have tried reinstalling from the supplied CD, but because Finder won't load I can't access any CD files.

The error box even takes priority over the terminal window.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Hopefully you were smart enough to have a Time Machine backup (at the very least). A clone of your drive would also be smart for instances like this. It's rare that an OS update would cause such trouble, but in the event it does, you can restore from your backup(s).
If you do not have a backup, ask the person nearest you to punch you, then insert the SL DVD into your Mac, restart and hold "C" until it boots from the DVD. You'll have to go through the whole process of reinstalling the OS (this is why it's such a good idea to have T.M. backups and a clone of your drive).

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo; 2GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Thanks to both of you for your responses.

The reinstall of the OS from disc worked fine and then the Auto Update brought down the combined version which has also installed okay.

My arm is sore from the person next door coz I didn't have a TM backup, however, my docs n things are stored on a separate drive. Phew!

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.