Apple and Warrantees

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
i am a Mac user since 1995 - 6 Macs with the last 2 bought new; a Powerbook and current MBPro
With the 2 laptops i did not bother with extended warranty as my Macs always outlasted 3 years, but of course the MBP only made it as far as 18 months before being hit with a major video problem.

Same problem my son had 3 years ago with a new iMac. My brother had a new 24 iMac which failed at 14 months, and i know of another who had a failure between 1 - 2 years.

If that is my local experience, then world wide, that could well extrapolate to a great number of Macs failing before 3 years.
Local Laptop online sale site seems to list quite a number of MacBooks that have had significant repairs.

My Guess now that Apple is into the big numbers the Production Quality Control has suffered.

Solution - 3 year warranty standard for all new Macs - why should it be a lottery with 3 prizes that only a few win, viz

• Mac + 3 years of use without problem = 1st Prize
• Mac + Ext warranty = Many more $$$
• Mac + expensive repair = Many many more $$$

Spread the cost of poor PQC or better still use up some of those millions that Apple are making currently to cover these unwarranted failures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
If that is my local experience, then world wide, that could well extrapolate to a great number of Macs failing before 3 years.
I would hardly say that a "great number" fail before 3 years.
I'm sure some do, but I would seriously doubt the numbers are that high.

My PowerBook did have a problem with the Superdrive, but that happened in the fourth month and covered under warranty.
That was the only Mac I had to send in for repairs in 20+ years of using Macs.
The only Mac out of the following:

1. Macintosh SE
  2. Quadra 700
  3. Performa 636CD
  4. Power Macintosh G3
  5. PowerBook 1400cs
  6. PowerBook G3 (Wallstreet)
  7. PowerBook G3 (Lombard)
  8. iMac G3 233 Mhz
  9. iMac DV
  10. iMac DV SE
  11. iBook G3 700 Mhz
  12. iBook G4 1Ghz
  13. eMac 1Ghz
  14. Power Mac G5 1.6 Ghz
  15. PowerBook G4 1.67 Ghz 15"
  16. PowerBook G4 1.67 Ghz 17"

So, over two decades, only one out of 16 Macs ever went in for repairs.
I used each one for at least 4 to 5 years before selling it.
I still use the G4 PowerBooks, the G5 Tower and the G3 Tower.

Still, if a person wants the added piece of mind, everyone has the option of purchasing the Apple Care Protection Plan 2 year extension.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Nope, don't personally want any part of being forced to pay up front for a 3 yr warranty to purchase a computer. I've owned over 25 computers since about '81 or '82. I have (knock on wood) never, as of yet, had a single one of these machines or any part thereof fail while in my possession in such a way that I "could & would" have taken advantage of a warranty.

I have had parts go out.
ex. video card, now did I really want to pay $200 for that extended warranty so I could have what had become a $50 card replaced or spend that $200 on the new latest and greatest card - which is what I did.
ex. hard drive starting to go on my MBP - pay $250 for a warranty to replace a 120GB 5400 RPM drive that I could get for $50 or go ahead and spend $100 to get a 320GB 7200 RPM drive - and still ahead of the game $150 on that one.

I sat down once about 3 years ago and figured out if I had taken "advantage" of every extended warranty that's been offered on all the computers, TV's, receivers, VCR's, DVD players, MP3 players, DVR's, washers, dryers, autos, etc. in the previous 20 yrs, I would be out over $35,000 with nothing to show for it except money in someone else's pocket.

So, all those people that want their extended warranties, I suggest those folks pay for them and don't bring me and my money into it.

And yes, I do realize that if they charged everyone for the "extended" warranty up front, they could probably get away with a substantially smaller anount than the current prices they currently charge. Thanks, but no thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Nope, don't personally want any part of being forced to pay up front for a 3 yr warranty to purchase a computer.
I think the OP wanted Apple to just give him a 3 year warranty for free... not automatically charge upfront for it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.