Outlook 2011 question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I have my work email account on my computer and I use Outlook to access it - set up as IMAP. I used omnidisksweeper and see that there's about 30GB of data in a mail V2 folder. I think IMAP stores emails on the server, so I'm thinking that these emails were downloaded to my had drive when I used airmail, mail pilot or one of the other 10 mail apps I've tried. I'd like to know if I can safely delete this folder and still have access to older emails because they are on the outlook server. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure your ISP is retaining the mail before deleting the folder from your hard drive. Even though mail is retained on the server, it doesn't mean your ISP is going to keep it there for you indefinitely. And most ISPs have limits on the amount they'll store. Even Google (gmail) has a limit although it's more than enough for most users.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make sure your ISP is retaining the mail before deleting the folder from your hard drive. Even though mail is retained on the server, it doesn't mean your ISP is going to keep it there for you indefinitely. And most ISPs have limits on the amount they'll store. Even Google (gmail) has a limit although it's more than enough for most users.

How do I check that? I have Verizon Fios at home and cablevision at work. What if one does retain the mail and the other one doesnt?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You'll just have to access the server(s) and check. If you have Verizon FIOS, your ISP is Verizon.net for mail. I have no idea what it might be for CableVision.

My ISP is gmail even though I too have Verizon FIOS at home. I can access the gmail web site and enter my password and see whatever is being stored on my behalf on the server. I'm not sure you can do that if Verizon is your mail ISP as I have never tried.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh, well gmail is the mail provider. Fios is just the internet provider, so can I log in and see if the emails are being retained?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure. I do it all the time. Just log on to the gmail web site and access your account with your password. Since your ISP is gmail, there's a good chance they've retained all your mail. It may take you awhile to wade through all the mail but as long as you have some idea of the dates involved, it shouldn't be too difficult. Just ignore the Spam folder and the sent folders and concentrate on the "All Mail" folder.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sure. I do it all the time. Just log on to the gmail web site and access your account with your password. Since your ISP is gmail, there's a good chance they've retained all your mail. It may take you awhile to wade through all the mail but as long as you have some idea of the dates involved, it shouldn't be too difficult. Just ignore the Spam folder and the sent folders and concentrate on the "All Mail" folder.

Thanks. I logged in and the first email I ever received was in the All mail folder. So I guess it's safe to delete the mail off my computer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, you can go ahead and remove the mail from the folder on your hard drive. Delete the mail messages first before attempting to delete the folder if you have a lot messages that are in the folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.