App Tamer Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
Ey guys sorry again for raising a nosy question but I decided to ask around first before i download and try any applications. As much of you guys had advised me before... Ask before do... Well I'd just want to be safe before i download "App Tamer".

Any thoughts (good or bad) with this application?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would recommend not to download this App (App Tamer) at all. You just don't need it on OS X. Apple has a good job to make sure the the cpu load and core temperatures are just fine most of the time.

If you are paranoid you can download the "istat pro" widget.
Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - iStat Pro
This gives you the core temps and network traffic speed and other info you'll need. I have this and it's quite handy info to have.

Also downloading Onyx/Maintenance
Titanium's Software • Home
Is one of the best ways to keep your Mac healthy and worry free. Again not needed cause Apple automated scripts do a lot of this. But I use it and it's nice to clear the logs and other things from time to time.

OP
johndope83
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
I would recommend not to download this App (App Tamer) at all. You just don't need it on OS X. Apple has a good job to make sure the the cpu load and core temperatures are just fine most of the time.

If you are paranoid you can download the "istat pro" widget.
Apple - Downloads - Dashboard Widgets - iStat Pro
This gives you the core temps and network traffic speed and other info you'll need. I have this and it's quite handy info to have.

Also downloading Onyx/Maintenance
Titanium's Software • Home
Is one of the best ways to keep your Mac healthy and worry free. Again not needed cause Apple automated scripts do a lot of this. But I use it and it's nice to clear the logs and other things from time to time.

thanks for the reply and I value your opinion on the matter. i'm actually a fan of one of your threads http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/224636-switchers-guide-recommended-free-apps-download-your-new-mac.html. It has been really useful for me. thanks!!

C

chas_m

"App Tamer" isn't "dangerous" or anything, it's just unnecessary. It's like all these people who apparently seriously believe that Apple forgot to handle proper cooling of their Mac so now they (the user) have to micro-manage it.

It's ridiculous.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A program like App Tamer is most useful in an environment with limited resources, memory or CPU power. In these environments, putting background apps to "sleep" will ensure that whatever limited resources are there will be available to the foreground application.

However, with most modern systems, the app yields very little improvement. I downloaded this and tried it for a couple of days on my i7 iMac to see how things would go and I got about 1.2% improvements by App Tamer's calculations mainly by pausing Chrome whenever I went to another application.

Overall, you can definitely skip this application as the benefits are minimal..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MacBook Pro, iPhone 4
It's a great app that does what it claims to do. But as others have said, there's really not enough payoff because OS X is smart enough to handle memory/cpu use on its own.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ey guys sorry again for raising a nosy question but I decided to ask around first before i download and try any applications. As much of you guys had advised me before... Ask before do... Well I'd just want to be safe before i download "App Tamer".

Any thoughts (good or bad) with this application?

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Just out of curiosity... are you having problems with your Mac? Is it not performing up to expectations?

I only ask because you seem to have some kind of fixation on troubleshooting and maintenance apps, despite having been told repeatedly that they just aren't necessary on this platform (and if they are, they're used very seldom).

Again... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
+1 on cwa107's post.
....if it ain't broke!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.