What system is in place to draw in new members?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
I look at the currently active users and I see 38 members and 1500 guests. I'm going to assume that all/most of these guests are owners of Apple products and have searched google for a problem that they might be having and this forum has came up. Whatever Apple product they own whether it be a Mac/iPhone/iPod they will most likely find a solution/answer and leave. But what if something could be done to draw in these guests and expand the forum even more. I'm not sure if anything is being done at the moment but this forum has so much potential to expand. I'm no expert but perhaps something simple telling them that they could have any of their problems and uncertainties answered to by taking a few seconds to join up to the forum. Although many will join, ask all their questions and then not login again until they have more problems, some will not. They will stay with the forum and start posting around, maybe even helping others out with things they know about. Just my thoughts. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would venture to guess that 80% of those guests are search engine spiders.

Unfortunately, some people just don't grok the "community" aspect of web forums. They see them as a resource for troubleshooting and help, but could care less about the social aspect of the forum. I can't tell you how many people I see who come here to post a question, expect an immediate answer, and then never return again. I guess there's nothing wrong with that as long as the person is appreciative, but not everyone is a computer enthusiast and the only time they care about the underpinnings of a machine is when there is a problem.

Just a guess, but I think your primary intent in asking the question is whether or not we've considered enhancement to the forums to improve their appeal. And that answer is a big "YES". I don't know when those enhancements will appear, but there is definitely a lot of enthusiasm for enhancements on the part of the forum staff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yeah he's right.

Currently Active Users: 1782 (56 members and 1726 guests)
And that is just right now. And this kind of thing happens a lot.

Bit I think the whole odea of a forum being a place to socalise rather then just a source of information is still relatively new to many people. Abd I think it's this idea that needs to be spread around more.

OP
Mint
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
I would venture to guess that 80% of those guests are search engine spiders.

Unfortunately, some people just don't grok the "community" aspect of web forums. They see them as a resource for troubleshooting and help, but could care less about the social aspect of the forum. I can't tell you how many people I see who come here to post a question, expect an immediate answer, and then never return again. I guess there's nothing wrong with that as long as the person is appreciative, but not everyone is a computer enthusiast and the only time they care about the underpinnings of a machine is when there is a problem.

Just a guess, but I think your primary intent in asking the question is whether or not we've considered enhancement to the forums to improve their appeal. And that answer is a big "YES". I don't know when those enhancements will appear, but there is definitely a lot of enthusiasm for enhancements on the part of the forum staff.
It's good to know that you are aware of this.
Yeah he's right.

Currently Active Users: 1782 (56 members and 1726 guests)
And that is just right now. And this kind of thing happens a lot.

Bit I think the whole odea of a forum being a place to socalise rather then just a source of information is still relatively new to many people. Abd I think it's this idea that needs to be spread around more.

I agree, although this forum is specific, It would be great to talk about many other things. The anything goes forum is like throwing all the Apple desktop section, notebook section, iPhone section, OS X section, airport section etc all into one forum. What I mean is, there are so many non-mac things to talk about but only 1 forum to talk about it all in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And a lot of folk just come in as guests and join up when they either have a problem or a response to someone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Some people seem to live here too. ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well some of them don't really have a choice...coughcoughmodscoughcough. >_>"

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Even we have choice... for instance, I could be on my PS3 playing my new game (Drake 2) on the 42" plasma I just got yesterday instead of watching TV with this notebook on my lap.

Come to think of it, cya'll later... I'm outta here.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

That's a bit of a misconception. We volunteer our time here and are members just like you, except we have the ability to prune the forums to a certain extent and also police the members. We are under no obligation to be here, although I think all of us share sense of community and enjoy helping others out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.