What are my options?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
I'm looking into buying or trading for a C2D MacBook Pro because my current system won't run aperture without lag and beach balls. I heard that all the C2D MacBook Pro can handle is no more than 4gb RAM , which makes the only difference in performance between the different models the processor speed. What is the lowest speed I should go for to run aperture 3 without issues, is 2.2Ghz too low? Is the C2D processor going to have the same problems running aperture as my 2Ghz Core Duo?And do the faster C2D handle more RAM? Thanks.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm looking into buying or trading for a C2D MacBook Pro because my current system won't run aperture without lag and beach balls. I heard that all the C2D MacBook Pro can handle is no more than 4gb RAM , which makes the only difference in performance between the different models the processor speed. What is the lowest speed I should go for to run aperture 3 without issues, is 2.2Ghz too low? Is the C2D processor going to have the same problems running aperture as my 2Ghz Core Duo?And do the faster C2D handle more RAM? Thanks.

On my old C2D 2007 MacBook w/4Gb of RAM Aperture runs acceptably, some beach balling, but not too obnoxious.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
On my old C2D 2007 MacBook w/4Gb of RAM Aperture runs acceptably, some beach balling, but not too obnoxious.

I have been told that my RAM is the issue but I still have a little over a GB of free RAM when running Aperture (with no other apps running) However both processor cores are nearly at maximum capacity when ever doing things like brush in color etc. What is your Processor speed @?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been told that my RAM is the issue but I still have a little over a GB of free RAM when running Aperture (with no other apps running) However both processor cores are nearly at maximum capacity when ever doing things like brush in color etc. What is your Processor speed @?

2.2 GHz

I also use Adobe PSE as my external editor in Aperture.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2 GHz

I also use Adobe PSE as my external editor in Aperture.

That is the model I am looking into i think. And you said the lag is minimal? Sounds like it would be a decent upgrade if I switch to one of these. THanks for the help.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the model I am looking into i think. And you said the lag is minimal? Sounds like it would be a decent upgrade if I switch to one of these. THanks for the help.

If I am doing a major import (as in moving an old iPhoto library into Aperture) it can get S-L-O-W. But, normally it isn't too bothersome.
I would like more speed, but this does the job fairly well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 Macbook Pro 3,1
I believe for those macbook pros apple says that 4 gb of ram is the max, but the site Other World Computing says 6gb will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.