Create New Thread in Mac Forums

Reaction score
I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to create a new thread! Instead of choosing a category from HOME which takes me to categories of threads and after choosing a category, one can click on a tiny faded button in the upper left corner named NEW THREAD, wouldn't it be nice to have an obvious button in the navigation bar or in the profile page?? It would for me!

From the profile page I can send messages and it would be very useful to add the option NEW THREAD! Once in the new thread page, I can choose the category for the new thread in a simple drop down menu if nothing more fancy!

I've been working on mac for close to three years now, and I truly love its stability and reliablity, but it alludes me completely why so many SUPER simple options connected to mac are always concealed! Including with the OS.

How about a FAQ for the forum! I would really like that!

Thanks!

P.S.
I thought I'd post this for some other sucker like me to save them some time :D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out how to create a new thread! Instead of choosing a category from HOME which takes me to categories of threads and after choosing a category, one can click on a tiny faded button in the upper left corner named NEW THREAD, wouldn't it be nice to have an obvious button in the navigation bar or in the profile page?? It would for me!

Now that you know where it is, you'll be able to find it on practically every forum in existence on the web.

From the profile page I can send messages and it would be very useful to add the option NEW THREAD! Once in the new thread page, I can choose the category for the new thread in a simple drop down menu if nothing more fancy!

That would be a great suggestion for the developers of VBulletin and I'm with you on that one. They are the developers of the forum software being used here and on maybe half or more of all forums it seems like (at least english language ones). They can be found here.

I've been working on mac for close to three years now, and I truly love its stability and reliablity, but it alludes me completely why so many SUPER simple options connected to mac are always concealed! Including with the OS.

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with your Mac. It would be the same whether on OS X, Windows or Linux. 80% of the forums I am a member of use the VBulletin software, including those totally unrelated to anything Apple. The place to post a new thread is the same on all of them. Actually, without going around and checking them, I think all of them are in the same place, although with different forum software may have a different name. For instance the apple support forums, it's called 'Post New Topic'. While not using VBulletin, it is in exactly the same place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Now that you know where it is, you'll be able to find it on practically every forum in existence on the web.

Not all forums are the same, BTW. Yes, many are created with vBulletin, but not all.

Anyhow, welcome to Mac-Forums.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you writing back. I've posted in many other forums and have not had this issue before. There were many similar inquiries on the web and no answers. What happens if someone has never posted in this kind of forum? Why do I have to have done it, to know how to do it? The web is supposed to be accessible for people of all strokes of life, and this structure of forum is not easily accessible. The search and post options should be clearly visible and the latter is NOT - that is the bottom line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Bottom line is this is the first type of complaint i have seen like this. Everyone else finds it. Even the spammers do :p

Also if this message board and website is not accessible to you i am sure there are plenty others out there that will be better for you.

No the internet is not supposed to be accessible for people of all stokes of life. There are no rules for the internet. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I am thinking how I joined this forum in march of last year 12 hours of getting my 1st MacBook and at no time did I feel the need to blame OSX nor the forum for my ignorance. Then I realized that we must see , what , 5-15 new posters a day ? And none of them have this problem. I wonder what that means ?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.8 / 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 640 GB WD Scorpio Blue
can't find it still

I still can't figure out how to create a thread =/ could anybody help me out a bit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^Hey. Welcome to Mac-Forums. This is a little unusual, but I'll see what I can do.

Start by going to Mac Forums | Apple, iPod, iPhone Discussions

Next, find the forum in which your thread best fits. Click on the link to that forum.

Once it loads, towards the top of the page will be a button that says "New Thread". Click it, and away you go!

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi Fox! And welcome to the forum!

After you login, go to HOME from top navigation, which is here - Mac Forums | Apple, iPod, iPhone Discussions
Then select a topic, for example, SOFTWARE > OS X - Operating System. The page that opens after you select your topic has a tiny inconspicuous button on the upper left corner called *New Thread*. Once you find that, you will be OK.

As you can see from my most above I also struggled with this at first.
Good Luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.8 / 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM / 640 GB WD Scorpio Blue
^Hey. Welcome to Mac-Forums. This is a little unusual, but I'll see what I can do.

Start by going to Mac Forums | Apple, iPod, iPhone Discussions

Next, find the forum in which your thread best fits. Click on the link to that forum.

Once it loads, towards the top of the page will be a button that says "New Thread". Click it, and away you go!

Hi Fox! And welcome to the forum!

After you login, go to HOME from top navigation, which is here - Mac Forums | Apple, iPod, iPhone Discussions
Then select a topic, for example, SOFTWARE > OS X - Operating System. The page that opens after you select your topic has a tiny inconspicuous button on the upper left corner called *New Thread*. Once you find that, you will be OK.

As you can see from my most above I also struggled with this at first.
Good Luck!

Thank you both, that really helped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome!

Reaction score
thanks a lot for this thread. I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to start a new forum. Then I came here. Saved me 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
:eek: All I can say is "Wow".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
:eek: All I can say is "Wow".

Well, the thread continues to be useful. It seems new users have thrown a coup and placed a 'What you need to know first' section where they can find it easily. That can't be a bad thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 MacBook Pro 4.0GB 2.4 Ghz 250GB HD
I was also having stupid attacks.

Thanks Guys. Unfortunately I'm a newbie too but googling got me right here where I needed to be.

Reaction score
Got there in the end - it's clicking the Mac Forums after Home that is the crucial bit I think.....

Reaction score
thank you!!

thank you for this post!
I have just now been having the same problem...frustrating.
funny how you get used to websites supplying this supercomfi surf experience where everything you need is clearly structured and obvious...

j--

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 9.99GHz Intel Core i7 256GB RAM 10TB HDD
For some reason, I can't see my own posts. Not even in different computers. So, if someone can give me a hand and maybe reply to this post or PM me, then it means my posts aren't being deleted or ignored or whatever. Thanks! :)

Reaction score
Still can't find it!

figured it out, had to get into the sub-categories....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.