Flickering is Back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz RAM, iPhone 4S
Reports of the flickering issue on the 27" iMacs has began to surface again. I am on my 3rd one and it has been good so far. But according to some sources that all machines are defective so it is just a matter of time. Just wondering how others are?

My first 2 machines both began flickering when I played music in iTunes but I haven't on this new machine yet so now I don't want to because I don't think I want a 4th machine and drive over an hour to the nearest apple store.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Supposedly that problem has been fixed with the latest firmware update released by Apple in December. See this article.

There have been other issues that have come up. Apple recently announced that the shipment of the 27" model would be delayed three weeks, however, I don't believe that has anything to do with the "flickering problem".

Regards.

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
check this link out, its where i got my info from

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does Yours...?

Does your new iMac have the screen flicker problem?
I'm on my 3rd after the first 2 flickered!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Flickering on other machines affects you exactly how?

You need to make sure yours works. I'd want to know now. And yes, I'd drive an hour... again... to get one that works after I'd shelled out $2k... you bet I would... and I'm quite sure I'd be mentioning this is the 3rd one already if it has the same issue.

OP
T_O_P12
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does it matter to you what issues others may or may not be having with their machines?

And yes, I'd drive an hour... again... to get one that works after I'd shelled out $2k... you bet I would... and I'm quite sure I'd be mentioning this is the 3rd one already if it has the same issue.

You really think i should have to go through all this effort after dishing out my 2 grand? for that I should not have to go through all this trouble that should have worked the first time. And i was trying to get a response to see some sort of percentage of how many people have the same problems as me.
Thanks for the response.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I think after spending $2k you should go through the effort of making sure you have one that works. Quite frankly, I agree, it's a royal pitr... and you shouldn't have had to do all that.

Meanwhile, you're still in a position of not knowing for sure if yours even has an issue. I sure would be running mine through it's paces after already on my 3rd unit to make sure it works. And I'd not be a very happy camper if it didn't.

None of which helps you. Put your 3rd one through it's paces and make sure it's working or not. If it is, hey, it's time to move on, forget about it and start enjoying your new machine.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
check this link out, its where i got my info from

Thanks for the Link. Interesting reading. Let us know how it all turns out for you. I was also surprised to read in that article that flickering was also a problem on some of the 21.5" models.

Apple may have been a bit premature getting the new iMacs out in the market before the 2009 Xmas season. :(

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.