Sell me on a new MacBook Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Really would like a Mac - mostly for the track pad. I am a Longtime Windows user always been curious about a MAC so I am almost ready to buy. BIG problem I have is the price difference - looks HUGE to me.

Would like the users here to 'sell' me on a new MacBook. I have configured a Dell laptop (I have had Dell laptops for years and I have no concerns with them they have always been fine for me, many years) and it 'looks' like a much much better value. What am I missing?

The only tangible difference I can see as a negative compared to the MacBook is the DDR2 vs DDR3 memory but there are many other significant upgrades on the Dell that make it look superior...and at $100's less

Below is the Dell......tell, me why I should get the Mac?

STUDIO 15 Studio 15 Notebook
Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
Processors Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9600 (2.8GHz/1066Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
Memory 4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 800MHz
Keyboard Back-lit Keyboard
LCD Panel 15.6” Full High Definition (1080p) High Brightness LED Display with TrueLife™ and Camera/Facial Reco
Video Card 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Hard Drive Size: 500GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
System Color Ruby Red with Edge-to-Edge Display
Adobe Reader Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9, English/French/Spanish
Combo or DVD+RW Drive 6X Slot Load Bluray (BD) Combo Drive (BD Read Only)
Sound High Definition Audio 2.0
Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g Half Mini-Card
Office Productivity Software Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
Software - Antivirus McAfee 36 month
Battery 85 WHr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Hardware Support Services 3Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis
Datasafe Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year
Processor Branding Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor
Sub total:$1,585.00

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
This again? Sorry but we dont care if you get a mac or not. lol ;)

Search the forums maybe previous posts of this same nature can convince you.

OP
H
Reaction score
I understand.... I have read some posts. I get the whole OS thing is better, I just haven't lived with it to really evaluate this for myself.

I have never had a virus (that I know of) but I have had my share of Windows issues.....I always attributed this to the myriad of software's (trials etc.) that I have installed which I presume is not so much Windows fault?

So my primary motivation here is I like the latest best thing. I DO LIKE the trackpad on the Apple - why they don't sell that as separate on a desktop is beyond me, that thing is slick - I am an iPhone user so the whole touch thing is just very slick.

Now, track pad aside where is the innovation on the Mac? The Dell has a 1080p display, Bluray drive, comes with Office 2007 and is something like $800 less than the Mac. Why? The Mac seems a little behind the times without 1080p and Bluray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
tell, me why I should get the Mac?
Nobody should have to tell you to get any type of computer, nor should anyone feel compelled to ask another to do so.

Get the one that you are most comfortable using, fits within your budget and most important of all... get the one that best suits your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Nobody should have to tell you to get any type of computer, nor should anyone feel compelled to ask another to do so.

Get the one that you are most comfortable using, fits within your budget and most important of all... get the one that best suits your needs.

I am gonna have to save that so I can copy and paste it next time. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
It all depends on what you want to do with the computer, honestly, the Mac is a great platform if your looking to do this, that and the other thing, however if you intend on doing the real other stuff, go that route, as I said, it all depends on what you want to do, I run both as both fill a niche in their respective means.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This again?

My thoughts exactly!

Original poster:

- search the forum & you will find lots of these threads to read
- go to the Apple Store & play with some of the computers

Hands on is the way to make your decision.

- Nick

Reaction score
I have been running apple for 8 years except for a brief 6-8 months this past year when my ibook finally gave up the ghost, and I was using my dad's old pc laptop till I saved enough to buy another macbook. All I can say is better security, tighter integration of hardware and os all parts communicate equally so it is faster while using much less computing power. I have worked at Best Buy for 3 years and Circuit City for 4 and I have dealt with both systems as a retail employee and while the mac cost more in 6 months to a year I don't have my Mac customers coming back in complaining of there product being slow or infested with viruses and errors. To many things make mac users loyal to the apple brand. Play with one for a hour and you may get a better understanding if you want to go with one.

OP
H
Reaction score
hmmmm thought there might have been more compelling argument. I do like the Mac it is aesthetically better. Just having a tough time swallowing $800 more...for arguably less?

I'm just being honest and not looking to start a flame or anything. Just want to understand the value in over paying (by alot) for the hardware? I must admit the multi touch track pad is probably worth $200 to me but everything else feels like a step down.

Seems like the best solution would be to buy non apple hardware and load Apple OS to that - best of both worlds, superior hardware and superior software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
I cant believe some people!

I my career is based on IT. Most of my clients have million £ budgets to spend on IT each year and they all know how to decide on what system or solution to purchase.

Research & Demo!

I have had Dells all my life and yes they are good for a corporate MS environment. the MBP is in a totally different league. My MBP is purely for pleasure. Is the most aesthetically pleasing thing I have purchased.

BTW - My MBP with 4GB of RAM is one of the quickest pieces of equipment I have used - Ever!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" June 09
What makes the OP think anyone cares about his purchase? If he's so stressed out about buying a new computer he probably can't afford it.

I will say that it would be nice if my MBP had a Blu Ray player and 1080p screen....Hopefully soon.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What makes the OP think anyone cares about his purchase? If he's so stressed out about buying a new computer he probably can't afford it.

I will say that it would be nice if my MBP had a Blu Ray player and 1080p screen....Hopefully soon.

The 1080p screen would be nice, but there is probably a big cost to make that happen. I seriously doubt sony is going to hand over it's Blu Ray technology to Apple.

Plus I don't think it needs blu ray. If anything, I want a faster CPU in there and a dedicated GPU on the 13" MBP.

Oh and to the OP, we don't work for apple so we are not going to try and sell anything to you.

Looking at those configs on that Dell I can say that it's slightly better than what you would probably get with the 15" MBP. It has a better GPU, a faster CPU for sure, and Blu Ray.

If those things are important to you then by all means get it.

I really enjoy the Mac OS so much that I would gladly pay a little extra for it plus it has great design. If I ever need windows I can install it on my Mac, but you can't install Mac OSX on a dell machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
OK, since no one is really trying to convince you and you really want someone to, I will try.

I really don't care if you get a mac or the dell (just to let you know).

I have configured a Macbook Pro 15 inch to be just about equal to the dell.

The only really difference is that the Macbook Pro has 4GB of DDR3 ram (dell is DDR2) and the Dell has a slightly faster processor.

The Macbook Pro came out to 2,500 with the Apple protection plan (2,150 without).

If you are a student or know one, you can probably knock off 100-200 dollars off of this.

If you are looking into buying a Macbook Pro, you are likely not extremely concerned about money.

I bought a MBP 13 inch and I love all of the features.
The trackpad is great, I really love the keyboard, the laptop is light, the screen is really bright, it runs Leopard AND Windows PERFECTLY. I game, so I have found that my MBP runs games just as well as my friend's Dell XPS 420 gaming DESKTOP.

I am not quite sure what it is that you want to know, but the MBP is blazing fast (fastest notebook I have ever used). The OS is GREAT, the feel of the Macbook Pro is amazing (it makes my friend's Toshiba feel like a little toy). The battery life is wonderful and I have not had any problems with it.

I think it is up to you which you get, they are both good computers.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I game, so I have found that my MBP runs games just as well as my friend's Dell XPS 420 gaming DESKTOP.

I doubt this a bit, only because you are comparing a notebook to a desktop that is built specifically for gaming. The desktop also has a dedicated graphic card while the 13" MBP does not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I doubt this a bit, only because you are comparing a notebook to a desktop that is built specifically for gaming. The desktop also has a dedicated graphic card while the 13" MBP does not.
Yes, I realize this.

What I really mean is that there is no NOTICEABLE difference between the two.

On the games we have both played (Runes of Magic, WoW etc.), my MBP runs just as smoothly as his XPS.

Maybe on some very new games there is a noticeable difference, but until I have yet to find a game where there is a difference.

And his MBP that comes with the dedicated graphic card will run very smoothly because mine, as you have stated, does not.

OP
H
Reaction score
I really enjoy the Mac OS so much that I would gladly pay a little extra for it plus it has great design...

I will probably end up with the Mac just so I can see for myself but $800 is hardly 'a little extra'. Its enough over priced that it causes me to rethink whether it makes sense to essentially throw away $800 and get less hardware specs.

I would add that I have played with the Mac in store several times and I do like the machine...but in the end its pretty much just a PC. I am actually buying this for my wife and to satisfy my own curiosity. I bought my wife an iPhone (now 2) and I am so impressed by it I thought she might like a Macbook to go with it.

Sorry to trouble everyone, I was just curious about why you all chose to spend hundreds of dollars more for basically the same laptop albeit a different OS.....pretty sure the Apple OS is not worth an $800 premium. From reading the 'trouble' posts here I can see that the ownership experience is not that much different?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Really would like a Mac - mostly for the track pad.

Huh??!?! Mostly for the track pad? If that's the case I would say you really don't want to get a Mac. Hundreds of post from many on this forum with why you should get a Mac. I'd say go to the Apple Store, play around with what they have there for a while, use the search function on this forum, and make your decision accordingly. Just my 2 cents. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sorry to trouble everyone, I was just curious about why you all chose to spend hundreds of dollars more for basically the same laptop albeit a different OS.....pretty sure the Apple OS is not worth an $800 premium.

I've been spending "hundreds of dollars more" since 1986! I've probably owned over 25+ different Macintosh computer models in that time.

Believe me...I'm not made of money, and if it wasn't worth it, I wouldn't do it!

Here's a hint...you don't always have to buy the latest & greatest Macintosh computer to enjoy the experience...buy used!

Good luck with the direction you choose,

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will probably end up with the Mac just so I can see for myself but $800 is hardly 'a little extra'. Its enough over priced that it causes me to rethink whether it makes sense to essentially throw away $800 and get less hardware specs.

I would add that I have played with the Mac in store several times and I do like the machine...but in the end its pretty much just a PC. I am actually buying this for my wife and to satisfy my own curiosity. I bought my wife an iPhone (now 2) and I am so impressed by it I thought she might like a Macbook to go with it.

Sorry to trouble everyone, I was just curious about why you all chose to spend hundreds of dollars more for basically the same laptop albeit a different OS.....pretty sure the Apple OS is not worth an $800 premium. From reading the 'trouble' posts here I can see that the ownership experience is not that much different?

I'm just a little curious as to where you ascertained 800 dollars from my post about the OS?

You are right about Macs being a PC because it is a personal computer, it just happens to have a different OS installed on it.

I haven't had any issues with my machines since I bought them, people just tend to be more vocal when they have problems. There aren't many threads here praising on how flawlessly their machine runs.

I still use a Windows Machine but it's strictly used for gaming and nothing else. If it was used as my everyday computer I would have to run an antivirus program as well as a spyware cleaner.

That's something I don't have time for. I like not having to worry about that kind of stuff with my mac machines.

Then there are the tons and tons of bloat ware that they have preinstalled on those windows machines that you get to remove.

On a side note...where exactly did you find this computer? I went to the HP website to try and find it and couldn't find that option for the CPU on any of the notebooks there.

I had to try and next best thing and did a config for the Studio XPS 16 with the same configs that you listed as well as those from a 15" MBP. Guess what....

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

OP
H
Reaction score
Huh??!?! Mostly for the track pad? If that's the case I would say you really don't want to get a Mac.

Yep....the track pad. Seriously that is the only real innovation I see. I love the track pad. Everything else is very 'Windows' like (the power plug is kind of cool) and I just can't get any sense from demo machines as to what is better from an OS perspective. I trust that it is better (certainly different anyway).

Reading all the Mac 'trouble' reported on this site makes me leery about paying a premium for the nice track pad. It sounds like most users just buy into the its better because someone said it was better. Doesn't seem anyone can really say why a Mac is better.....except you don't get virus. Now that in itself is somewhat compelling. Its not $800 compelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.