AirPort Extreme worth the investment

Reaction score
or will a less expensive router do just fine, for example the Belkin N Wireless Router.

if you have another suggestion of router let me know, please.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Yes a cheaper router will be just fine. That being said - I love my AirPort Extreme. Very stable and full of features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
I can't agree more with mdfuller. I have yet to find a router with as many features, ease of use, stability etc as the AEBS. The USB/external disk feature alone is enough for me. It allows me to have a 'poor man's NAS' without all the hassle of a separate device/machine etc.

The only real 'drawback' that I can see is the lack of an HTML based management console that you find with most routers. Further, changing any settings in the AEBS (albeit, you won't do that this often so it's not that big of a deal) requires a restart where some routers you can do this sort of thing on the fly.

OP
G
Reaction score

OK but in speed wise? forget the features, how about browsing the internet will i see a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
When upgrading from the round AEBS to the Square one i saw a big increase in range for connecting. Not sure how that would compare with Belkin wireless. And then there is the wide channels using the 5GHz band which may give better speed on your LAN. Me - i like Apple wireless for Apple computers, but then i don't need to do anything fancy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 3.06GHz processor, ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics, 1TB HDD
We have an Airport Express and crappy router that came with our ISP at home, and we've had big problems with dropouts from the crappy router. Will upgrading to an Extreme help with this or no?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
3 trouble free years with an AEBS so far easy to set up and 2 AE linked to it
for sending iTunes around the house.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
We have an Airport Express and crappy router that came with our ISP at home, and we've had big problems with dropouts from the crappy router. Will upgrading to an Extreme help with this or no?

You cannot replace your ISP's modem with an Airport Extreme as it is only a router/gateway/etc. You would still need a standalone modem attached to the Airport Extreme.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.