New User

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
Hi everyone!

I have just received a White MacBook: 2.0Ghz, 1GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive for Christmas and was wondering if there are any specific applications that would help me? I'm into web design, photography, and related stuff. Any help would be appreciated!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
welcome to the forums and congrats on your new macbook! (almost the same as mine except you've got the core2duo)

a few things to check out:

unison - great newsreader/binary downloader if you need that sort of thing.

onyx - excellent maintenance tool, great for cache maintenance and tweaking preferences

delocalizer - will free up a couple gigs of space by removing extra language support if you don't need it (i recovered about 2.8Gb).

OP
thefarky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
Thanks a lot for the quick replies! I will surely look into those. I hope to eventually become part of this community.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
You already are :) .

If you're into photography, try iPhoto, it's neat. If you're really INTO photography, try Aperture, it's even neater, but costs a bundle. Adobe Photoshop is common too.

For Webdesign, Smultron is a good tool for editing in code. iWeb does some pretty good quick webpages.

OP
thefarky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks yogi :)

I've heard iPhoto is pretty good, but what are its features compared to Photoshop? Is Smultron free? I've also heard about TextMate, but it's price tag is a tad steep.

Thanks also to MacHeadCase! I will be sure to add those applications to my growing list of things I need to be downloading ha. Thanks a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.