• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple MacBook And MacBook Pro to get redesigned..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Appleinsider claims that the current MacBook and MacBook Pro designs will be retired and are expected to see "major design changes" in their next revision.

The consumer MacBook line is expected to transition from plastic enclosures to aluminum and stainless steel, which are reportedly more "eco-friendly".

The MacBook Pro will share a similar design transition to bring it in line with existing iMac and MacBook Air designs.
Though precise details are admittedly limited given the ongoing revision process, it's presumed this will include instances of matte black on portions of the casings, oversized trackpads, and the adoption of the MacBook Air's keyboard by the MacBook.

Appleinsider points out that the MacBook has not seen a major case redesign since its introduction in May 2006. Meanwhile, the MacBook Pro continues to share a very similar design to the Aluminum PowerBook G4 which was introduced in 2003.

The new designs are expected to accompany the Montevina platform launch in June of this year. Montevina promises faster front-side bus speeds (1066MHz) over existing models (800MHz) and slightly faster Penryn processors (2.26-3.06GHz).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66ghz Core 2 duo iMac (20in), 320gb HDD, 4gb DDR3 1066mhz, iPhone 3g (8GB), Nano 4g (16GB)
Well since those are expected in Q3, looks like ill be getting the current gen macbook since i need it for college in august. I dont mind though, i think the black macbooks now look amazing.

OP
spookymulder
Reaction score
Well since those are expected in Q3, looks like ill be getting the current gen macbook since i need it for college in august. I dont mind though, i think the black macbooks now look amazing.

i think they do to the only thing that i am looking forward to is the backlit keyboard and posable multi gesture track pad like on the new MBA's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Oh man... that is exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear... Now that there is the larger track pad possibility, slimmer design I might WANT to wait longer :\
But it's only 15 days away until I get my MBP! Ahhh. I really have been waiting for so long, but don't know if I can wait much longer. I really want it for the start of summer as I will be gone and need entertainment. And up to 3.0? That means the MBP probably 2.6 base, 2.8 main, and upgradable to 3.0? >_< darn this timing. Why in June? :(

EDIT: Do you think because this may be the last gen of these types, their resale will still be nice? And will these new ones be considered "Rev A" and have possibly many errors and bugs? If that generally happens, I'll be more happy and satisfied with this current gen knowing I'll have less problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm
Where did it say Q3? I'm looking into having one by August for school as well but I could certainly wait. We have computer labs on campus so if need be I would definitely hold out but I didn't see where it mentioned a release. The only thing that slightly hinted towards timing was the processors that come out in June. Either way this is good news since the atleast the current models will drop in price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Toward the bottom, on the picture chart thing, under "Future MacBook Pro" Ships: Q3 2008

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 7.1 [24"], [email protected], 2GB RAM, HD2600 Pro, 320Gb HDD - 75/25 OS 10.5/Vista
Hmmmm... I was gonna buy an MBP around Christmas last year but went for a higher-spec iMac. I know, totally different, but I really do like my Apple Desktop. Anyway... This time around, I really do need to go for a laptop, It would be in December-ish, and most probably an MBP, an MB if not. I'm not really thinking about the next revision, but the one after. I do think it would be a better idea to get one on the second revision of a redesign also, because that way the specs would be tweaked a bit more, and any original flaws would be corrected. But, my main concern is if the next redesign doesn't come out before the start of August, then there's little possibility of getting a second revision before the end of the year. Then there's the classic Apple cliche; "do I wait a bit more for my apple product" or "buy one now and feel the pain later"... See what I mean?

To be honest, I'd also like some more info on the redesign itself too, but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer, and even that will be based on rumors, until the day before. [Unless it comes out after the Q3 MacWorld]

OP
spookymulder
Reaction score
they are also re-designing the mac mini.... they want to make it .....smaller

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Hmmmm... I was gonna buy an MBP around Christmas last year but went for a higher-spec iMac. I know, totally different, but I really do like my Apple Desktop. Anyway... This time around, I really do need to go for a laptop, It would be in December-ish, and most probably an MBP, an MB if not. I'm not really thinking about the next revision, but the one after. I do think it would be a better idea to get one on the second revision of a redesign also, because that way the specs would be tweaked a bit more, and any original flaws would be corrected. But, my main concern is if the next redesign doesn't come out before the start of August, then there's little possibility of getting a second revision before the end of the year. Then there's the classic Apple cliche; "do I wait a bit more for my apple product" or "buy one now and feel the pain later"... See what I mean?

To be honest, I'd also like some more info on the redesign itself too, but I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer, and even that will be based on rumors, until the day before. [Unless it comes out after the Q3 MacWorld]
You'll always "feel the pain", no matter what you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I don't know. I feel no pain, I quite like my penryn MBP ;) Including the backlit keyboard, which I originally thought to be quite 'gimmicky'

Reaction score
I only bought my white Macbook three weeks ago :(. Oh well you can't get everything in life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 Glossy 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 2GB RAM 200GB HDD @ 7200rpm
So when exactly is the third quarter? I'm not so much caught up in wanting the latest and greatest but I really don't want to spend more money than I have to on the current models. I'll need a computer eventually but I can definitely make due for a little while at the start of next semester if it meant saving a couple hundred bucks. But then again when would the current MBP's hit the refurbished scene? I can get an educational discount but even the "last gen" notebooks are more than that and the only real savings is refurbished. But the refurbs right now don't have enough hard drive space which is exactly why I'm looking at the newer MBP's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Oh man... that is exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear... Now that there is the larger track pad possibility, slimmer design I might WANT to wait longer :\
But it's only 15 days away until I get my MBP! Ahhh. I really have been waiting for so long, but don't know if I can wait much longer. I really want it for the start of summer as I will be gone and need entertainment. And up to 3.0? That means the MBP probably 2.6 base, 2.8 main, and upgradable to 3.0? >_< darn this timing. Why in June? :(

EDIT: Do you think because this may be the last gen of these types, their resale will still be nice? And will these new ones be considered "Rev A" and have possibly many errors and bugs? If that generally happens, I'll be more happy and satisfied with this current gen knowing I'll have less problems.

If you can wait long enough for the revision, you probably don't need a new computer in the first place. Buy it, enjoy it, and most of all, don't regret it.

They revised the MacBooks three months after I bought mine. I was upset for about 30 seconds and then I realized that I have a completely capable machine that will do everything I need to do right now.

Yeah, I'm saving my pennies for a MacBook Pro, but does that mean I regret getting my MacBook? Not at all. It's still a great computer, and it still turns heads. Don't worry about constant upgrades. Get the computer you need now and enjoy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
A thinner aluminum black Macbook Pro would be very sweet! If they came out with that, I would go for an upgrade even if I didn't need it! I just hope they don't keep them the way they are and make the keyboard alone black. I don't care for that look at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16GHz C2D, 160gb 5400rpm HD, 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I'm glad I don't get caught up in this stuff... otherwise I'd go crazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
If you can wait long enough for the revision, you probably don't need a new computer in the first place. Buy it, enjoy it, and most of all, don't regret it.

They revised the MacBooks three months after I bought mine. I was upset for about 30 seconds and then I realized that I have a completely capable machine that will do everything I need to do right now.

Yeah, I'm saving my pennies for a MacBook Pro, but does that mean I regret getting my MacBook? Not at all. It's still a great computer, and it still turns heads. Don't worry about constant upgrades. Get the computer you need now and enjoy it.

I also have a MacBook that is 1 year old and it could not be better, its a fantastic lappy and does all that I ask of it, I also have just got a iMac 20" for my desktop, that too is fantastic. There will always be a newer model around the corner....thats life! I will upgrade my Macbook in 2 years time, until then im happy. The main thing with Macs is they still have a good resale value, even after 3years, unlike most Windows Computers. I have just seen a 2yr old MacBook go for £466 on eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 ghz MacBook Pro, 2gb ram, NVIDIA 8600M GT 512 mb VRAM... and an 8 gb iPhone.
dude! I JUST bought my MBP 2.5ghz yesterday! I knew that as soon as i bought this thing they were going to do something different to them. I swear I can never stay ahead of all of this. DAMMIT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Quad 2.8 w/ 8800GT / Black MacBook 2.16 C2D
dude! I JUST bought my MBP 2.5ghz yesterday! I knew that as soon as i bought this thing they were going to do something different to them. I swear I can never stay ahead of all of this. DAMMIT.
Right, you can't stay ahead of it. No one can. Computer equipment will continue to improve, and Apple will continue to release new configurations and designs. There is always an update around the corner, so just enjoy your brand new laptop. When the new model comes out, you can admire it and regret that you didn't wait for it, or you can remember that for the last several months, you had a brand new, powerful computer in your lap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well it still will be rather powerful even after an update is released.

But the issue to me is not that apple has released an update. But will there be any noticeable boost in performance when compared to the mac I have now with the tasks I do on it now. And for me the answer is no. I believe it'll be no to most people too.

Sure those extra .2 ghz or little bit better graphics card are lovely to have in theory but why upgrade if those extras will be largely unused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.