Invalid certificate for 's-static.ak.facebook.com

Reaction score
A window will pop up periodically on my screen saying:

"Safari can't verify the identity of the website:

's-static.ak.facebook.com...... Show certificate?....Continue?".

It happened even though I didn't have a Facebook tab open and had done nothing to trigger such a message. Of course I didn't go there (at least not on purpose).

Several days ago it was my Firefox browser that was showing this pop-up. During the same period, some of my Firefox bookmarked links to other sites started asking for certificate verification, but only on Firefox on my MacBookPro (OS X 10.7.3), not on Safari, and not at all on my non-intel G-4 Powerbook (OS X 10.5.8)

Also during this period I was getting MacbookPro screen freezes from which the only exit was to power down the computer. Deleting and reinstalling Firefox app didn't help. It was only when I trashed my Firefox profile that the problems stopped.

I ran a complete disc scans with Norton anti-virus and with Sophos anti-virus; also ran the script checking for Flashback. Came up clean.

Things have been quiet for the last few days. But now that pop-up is appearing on Safari; fortunately, no screen freezes - yet.

What's going on? What should I do?

C

chas_m

It happened even though I didn't have a Facebook tab open and had done nothing to trigger such a message. Of course I didn't go there (at least not on purpose).

That isn't Facebook. It is a malicious website that is trying to get you to think it is Facebook for the purposes of downloading malware or viruses.

Luckily, you're on a Mac, so this likely won't work. But it's not impossible for the Mac to get malware. You've apparently got a bookmark or something that's taking you to the wrong place.

I ran a complete disc scans with Norton anti-virus and with Sophos anti-virus;

Useless. There aren't any viruses for Mac, and you running both of those could EASILY explain the bad behaviour on your MBP. I would strongly recommend properly UNinstalling both of them. (It's important that you follow their uninstall procedures, not just drag to trash!).

also ran the script checking for Flashback. Came up clean.

Glad to hear it. You're on Lion, so you're not likely to be exposed to the Java Flashback malware in the first place, but a quick trip to Software Update for the latest updates will ensure that you won't have to think about it again.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks. Pop-Ups seem to have stopped by themselves, and no more screen freezes.

But could you say more about:

"There aren't any viruses for Mac, and you running both of those [Norton and could EASILY explain the bad behaviour on your MBP. I would strongly recommend properly UNinstalling both of them. (It's important that you follow their uninstall procedures, not just drag to trash!)."

I know the subject of "no such thing" as (specifically) a virus for a Mac, as opposed to malware in general, has been extensively debated, but what I'm really asking about is how Norton or Sophos anti-virus could be harmful. I've had them for years and am not aware (say again, AWARE) of any damage they've caused.

C

chas_m

You can do a search here to get an extensive earful on what a bad program Norton Utilities is and has been ever since Symantec got hold of it, so I'll not recap that.

I don't have any opinion on Sophos, though I consider it completely unnecessary and, like Norton, a resource and speed-sucking add-on that does nothing.

But the point I was trying to make is that having two anti-"virus" programs running at the same time is likely to create its own problems, just as having two firewalls on causes problems rather than making you "twice as safe."

This is not a PC; it's a Mac. It's not the same, and should be treated as the same.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
s-static.ak.facebook.com appears to be part of Facebook's CDN. I say this since the domain is owned by Facebook but part of the Akamai netblock (Akamai is a huge CDN). See here for more info.

Thus, I'm willing to bet that some page you're visiting has some sort of connection to Facebook. When that popup appears, see if there is some sort of Facebook feature (like a comment box).

Reaction score
Having same problem with mb pro

Hey guys,

I am having the exact same problem appear on my 2010 MacBook pro, started tonight at 9pm. Less than a hour ago out of the blue and I have been visiting secure sites for college.

Says something like

"Not sure if s-static.ak.facebook.com is a valid certificate"

I do not know what to click so I exit out of everything. This error appears on RalphLauren.com and even this site (which I am using a different computer to write now). Why is there this message? I have no idea why nor if it is safe to click anything. I never had a FaceBook account so why am I getting this message suddenly?

Reaction score
Solved

Solved the problem, nm.

My Mac's internal clock was set ahead, past when the certificate was originally valid. Changed to the proper date and issue was fixed.

Apparently, this FB certificate goes on in the background anyway. Wonder what it is recording...

OP
L
Reaction score
I've examined my stored cookies (preferences/privacy) and deleted those that looked suspicious, eg Facebook.net. I don't know how well that's worked, because I can then go days without that annoying pop-up appearing, then all of a sudden it reappears until I again purge cookies. I've not made note of the individual deletions, so don't know which, if any, did the trick. But it may be worth a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB
website identity

2009 iMac intel i5 27"

While on internet, often receive message, "s-static.akfacebook.com" which asks if I wish to continue as my private information may be at risk.
Help, please. What is this and how do I eliminate it?

Reaction score
s-static.ak.facebook.com

So, I haven't heard or understood how (or if) you can make this problem go away. This pop up happens to me constantly. I'm almost tempted to "trust" the certificate so it will stop. I've deleted my cookies, I've reinstalled OS X, I've cleaned with MacKeeper.. nothing has worked. Anything else I can try?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Did you check your date and time settings? It's possible that a mismatch is causing your browser to think that the certificate is invalid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
@lugnut66 . . . running antivirus is completely unnecessary on a Mac and they tax your system's resources.

Reaction score
So, I haven't heard or understood how (or if) you can make this problem go away. This pop up happens to me constantly. I'm almost tempted to "trust" the certificate so it will stop. I've deleted my cookies, I've reinstalled OS X, I've cleaned with MacKeeper.. nothing has worked. Anything else I can try?

Check your Router time. Mine was off an hour and had to reboot it. This seems to have cleared up the issue. Good luck.

Several days ago it was my Firefox browser that was showing this pop-up. During the same period, some of my Firefox bookmarked links to other sites started asking for certificate verification, but only on Firefox on my MacBookPro (OS X 10.7.3), not on Safari, and not at all on my non-intel G-4 Powerbook (OS X 10.5.8)

Also during this period I was getting MacbookPro screen freezes from which the only exit was to power down the computer. Deleting and reinstalling Firefox app didn't help. It was only when I trashed my Firefox profile that the problems stopped.

I ran a complete disc scans with Norton anti-virus and with Sophos anti-virus; also ran the script checking for Flashback. Came up clean.

Things have been quiet for the last few days. But now that pop-up is appearing on Safari; fortunately, no screen freezes - yet.

What's going on? What should I do?

Check your Routers date and time. Mine was off an hour and had to reboot it. This seems to have cleared up the issue. Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
website problem

I am still encountering not only the "Facebook - akamai" freeze but also freezes on other sites (ex. Google). Thus far this thread has only told me that my late- 2009 iMac i7 will not respond to anti-virus programs. I have never used av on on the iMac but would appreciate a meaningful suggestion concerning the subject problem. Thanks.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thus far this thread has only told me that my late- 2009 iMac i7 will not respond to anti-virus programs. I have never used av on on the iMac but would appreciate a meaningful suggestion concerning the subject problem. Thanks.
There was a whole discussion around date/time settings and certificates. That is commonly a problem with validation. Go up to my earlier posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
website certificate validity

I have read all the attempts to explain the problem and I have changed (verified) the time setting. The page I last received the invalid notice was this page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I safe in the belief that there is not an answer available on this forum concerning this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There must be an answer to this situation. The problem continues and I am told to check time settings and avoid downloading AV software into my Mac. Any other ideas from anybody? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been putting up with this problem for almost a full year. Rather than finding solutions, the problem has gotten worse and even occurs occasionally when I attempt to use Apple Support and Forums, including this one. I have tried many suggested "fixes" with no positive results.At present, the problem occurs on my late-2009 intel i5 27" iMac and now my 13.3" 2011 intel i5 Macbook Pro (I fear for the future of my newish iPad).. Is it possible that there is a hidden problem in Safari? While respecting the need for organization of a Forum, shoving my post to another group does nothing to assist. Has anyone contacted Apple about this problem? Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.