How does iOS 5 run on iPhone 4?

Reaction score
For those of you who have upgraded your iPhone 4's to iOS 5- how does it run?

I'm worried it will slow my phone down. Any problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
No slowdown but have not noticed any speed increase so far with the additional features seems to run the same.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The IP4 is pretty close to the first generation iPad. It runs very smooth on my first iPad 16 Gig.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
My 4 actually feels a bit more responsive after the upgrade.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mine runs fine... now that it's running. But what a nightmare to get there!

You might want to give it a few days for things to shake out.

Reaction score
Works well enough for me, no considerable difference in speed, although lets be honest the speed difference between the 4 and the 4S will be down to the A5 chip and not the OS. Took me frigging ages to get finished though! Long process! My screen looks like it's wider though! Not complaining haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
faster

Noticeably faster browsing on mine, after testing all night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm still testing it out but everything seems to be okay. The new notification system was worth it alone. The old one was too limiting to be used the way I wanted it to.

My 4 actually feels a bit more responsive after the upgrade.
I also noticed a slightly better responsiveness but I think that might be because everything was reinstalled. Also there's definitely no apps running in the background when I first start it up. I'll see if this responsiveness stays when I used my iPhone more normally. It's not a dramatic difference for me so I don't know if it's really iOS 5 that's doing it. I suspect it's more of a benefit of the iOS reinstall.

Reaction score
Battery Issues

Hey all, I am new to the Mac Forums but a long time iPhone/iPad user. I was wondering if anyone had any input on battery life/drain issues with iOS 5? I have played around with my iPhone 4 quite a bit since the update and noticed the battery life draining much faster than normal. Of course I could be completely paranoid but any other opinions would be great! Thanks!

Reaction score
Safari is noticeably faster for me. The notifications are freaking awesome. I have been playing with mine a couple hours and still at 97% battery life. I thought iMessage would be a little cooler but it works ok. The keypad while typing seems to have a little delay. The camera function on the lock screen is boring. Love the new reminders app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey all, I am new to the Mac Forums but a long time iPhone/iPad user. I was wondering if anyone had any input on battery life/drain issues with iOS 5? I have played around with my iPhone 4 quite a bit since the update and noticed the battery life draining much faster than normal. Of course I could be completely paranoid but any other opinions would be great! Thanks!
I haven't really noticed a huge difference in battery performance but I still need to play with mine more to give a definite answer. I have noticed that my iPhone 4 is running a little warmer than normal though.

If you are still having problems with your battery, first try calibrating the battery by doing a full drain and a full uninterrupted recharge. It has always fixed my battery issues in the past. Like our laptops I think these mobile devices need their batteries calibrated every so often.

Love the new reminders app.
It's not bad. I don't know if I like it better than the TellMeLater app I have. What's nice about Apple's Reminders app is the location based reminder feature.

Reaction score
The location portion of the reminders app is what I love. I should have specified.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I agree. The location feature is great.

Reaction score
No delay here at all. Upgrade worked flawless the evening when iOS5 came out (waited a bit after hearing all the stories of overloaded servers). The upgrade on the phone itself took quite some time until I was back to normal (put apps back on and stuff...) but it's now running speedy and smooth

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.