Photo editing program selection

Reaction score
I'm looking for a program to add writing and captions to photos. Not a pro but would like the ability to do basic editing. Also would like to make slideshows with captions, titles and music(I know iphoto can make slideshows but want to add titles and writing to it).

I am willing to spend the money if necessary to get a decent program but want to know that it will do what I want.

Tbone

OP
T
Reaction score
Just got back from Bestbuy, talked to an apple rep who recommended bento for what I want to do. Going to look it up online...

C

chas_m

No, no, no, no.

You want a photo editor (iPhoto, Graphic Converter, ACDSee Pro for Mac, PS Elements, et al), and Keynote or FotoMagico.

I am particularly shocked that "an Apple rep" would suggest Bento for this, as it would be utterly useless on all points for what the OP wants.

Trust me, I do this all the time: a photo manager/editor + Keynote (or FotoMagico) = SPECTACULAR slideshow that will leave your PC colleagues gasping for air and sick with jealousy.

OP
T
Reaction score
I find it hard to decide on what software to use.

The apple rep at Bestbuy said I could use iworks but actually recommended bento over iworks, saying it's his preference and will do everything iworks will for half the price.

I also asked about photoshop but again he said to use bento unless I was a pro photographer.

Most importantly I don't want to alter or lose any of my original photos in iphoto. After recently switching from a pc my pics are more organized than they've ever been before.

Tbone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
OP - Hope you are reading the replies here. You wanted a photo editor - Bento is a database manager. The two are different animals. Buy Bento if you want to but you'll still want a photo editor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.0 Ghz C2D 4G Ram
+1 on Photoshop Elements, for what you're going to be doing it will work fine. Gimp is another option as already mentioned, and has the benefit of being free.

OP
T
Reaction score
I am reading all the replies here. I thought photoshop would have been the best but wanted to check before spending the money. I specifically talked to the apple rep for advice but it's clear he has led me astray here; I even explained to him exactly what I'm trying to do and he said bento or iworks over photoshop.

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I find it hard to decide on what software to use.

The apple rep at Bestbuy said I could use iworks but actually recommended bento over iworks, saying it's his preference and will do everything iworks will for half the price.

I also asked about photoshop but again he said to use bento unless I was a pro photographer.

Most importantly I don't want to alter or lose any of my original photos in iphoto. After recently switching from a pc my pics are more organized than they've ever been before.

Tbone

Bento 3 for Mac looks like a pretty good database program. But you should consider the following:
1) This is a quote from the Amazon product description for Bento,
"Note: Photos and associated data from iPhoto can only be viewed from within Bento and cannot be edited. However, you can add new fields to your Bento forms to store more data about your photos, but it will not appear in iPhoto."
2) Bento cost $42.34 at Amazon, iWork is $61.81, hardly twice as much.
3) You probably CAN do everything in Bento (except create pubs) that you can in iWork. I once had a friend who used dBase as a word processor, but that doesn't mean it's the best way to do things
4) Last, and I don't mean this as a slam at Apple reps in Best Buy (some of them are quite knowledgeable. But, you have access on this forum to some extremely knowlegeable people (not me) some of whom are current and/or retired fairly high level corporate Apple technical people (again not me) and who have replied to your post. You might find it worth your while to listen to what they are saying. :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am reading all the replies here. I thought photoshop would have been the best but wanted to check before spending the money. I specifically talked to the apple rep for advice but it's clear he has led me astray here; I even explained to him exactly what I'm trying to do and he said bento or iworks over photoshop.

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually...

Took me a while to type my previous post (working from my iPad). It's obvious you are listening, so ignore whatever is no longer current from my previous post.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm not trying to slam anyone here, if it comes across that way. I am learning that there are more intelligent people here than the ones in the store paid to wear the apple logo on their shirt.

I will be looking at photo editing programs only now, thinking of trying portraits and prints first(since it's free), and then maybe photoshop if I can't get p&p to do what I want.

I'm in Canada, the price of iworks is $100, bento is ~$50.

Tbone

OP
T
Reaction score
Here's another question I've got, a little off topic though:

Is there a way to scan an 'event' in iphoto and filter out duplicates? I merged a few events and some of the pics are duplicates which I can weed out individually but was hoping there's a way to let iphoto scan them and save me some time.

Tbone

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's another question I've got, a little off topic though:

Is there a way to scan an 'event' in iphoto and filter out duplicates? I merged a few events and some of the pics are duplicates which I can weed out individually but was hoping there's a way to let iphoto scan them and save me some time.

Tbone
Don't think there is a way to do it directly in iPhoto, but ChasM posted about a procedure and App a few days back that might do what you want. You can do a search for posts by him and find it, fairly recent post.

I know a way to do it, but it's fairly kludgy and involves exporting and then reimporting the entire library. Haven't tried his method, but it's probably a lot more efficient.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in Canada, the price of iworks is $100, bento is ~$50.

Tbone
Interesting to see the price difference. Just curious (I've wondered about this before) but can you log into and buy from the US Amazon website? The price difference is substantially less, though I don't now the conversion rate and don't know what $61.81 USD comes to in Canadian dollars.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you just want to do the basic photo editing and add text...there is always Preview. >_>"

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.
The Canadian exchange rate is pretty good but I don't think amazon.com will let you order if you're outside the US. I'm close to the border and can just go to Bestbuy or somewhere in the USA to buy it.

I'm currently just making a slideshow in iphoto and will see how it turns out. I think it will be ok, maybe a bit less fancy without photoshop or a similar program.

Tbone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD
Why don't you just download the trial version of Photoshop Elements and see if you can get it to do what you want it to.

C

chas_m

That Best Buy "Apple Rep" should be challenged to SHOW you, using Bento only, how you can do what you're asking to do.

Hint: he can't, because he's talking completely out of his rear end. It's a real shame that that Best Buy doesn't have a properly trained Apple rep, but I can't say as I'm shocked.

FutureShop now has "genuine Apple employee" Apple Reps at their stores, I'd suggest having a chat with them. Or just trying the free trials of the programs I mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP mid 2009 - 2.8 ghz 4 GB Ram, 500 gb HDD ; iPhone 3G 16GB White , iPhone 4 32GB Black,
I agree with the above posters, for what you need Photoshop CS5 would be too much, but I would go with PS Elements, as a user of both I recommend the little brother, as CS5 can have a steep learning curve.

Plus Elements is much cheaper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.