problems connecting macbook to tv ...help?

Reaction score
i have the mini dvi-hdmi adapters (all wires/connections look good, tv has hdmi in etc), and on the tv i can see the desktop but ONLY the desktop, not the mouse or 'task bar' only the image of 'outerspace'
shows?

i know the tv sees the macbook, but its only partially seeing it?

also, i have recently installed a flight sim that runs in 'windows' only

http://www.realflight.com/requirements/g4_system.html

it seems to work normally on my pc partition, but the tv doesnt seem to see it at all :(

and i REAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYYY want this flight sim to work on my tv.

and tips or help appreciated :)

J_K

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Mhz, added superdrive and 320gb HD
Is your tv running in extended or mirrored desktop mode?
If it's extended then thats your problem.
I run an extended desktop in the office on XP and any fullscreen progs just take over the main screen and not the extension.
And are the dimensions of the TV the same as your monitor?

OP
Reaction score
Is your tv running in extended or mirrored desktop mode?
If it's extended then thats your problem.
I run an extended desktop in the office on XP and any fullscreen progs just take over the main screen and not the extension.
And are the dimensions of the TV the same as your monitor?

im not technical at all, i have no idea what mode my tv is in, all i do is select 'menu' on the remote and scroll to the hdmi input. i guess ill look at the tv menu again and see if i can find something called 'mirrored or extension' ?

re dimensions,

my tv is a lot bigger than the macbook

but im guessing thats no what you meant .......

dont give up on me.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It's quite normal what you see. By default, the MacBook creates an extended desktop on the TV to the right of the desktop on the Mac. Don't switch to mirrored mode, because it'll mess up the mac display.

All you need to do is drag you window to the right and you should see it appear on the TV screen. If you really want your dock and taskbar on the TV screen, you can adjust things via system preferences, and go to screen set up from there.

I usually just have it in extended mode and drag any windows I want to see on the TV onto that screen.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No need to get sarcastic, and if you are going to be sarcastic, perhaps work on the sentence contruction? :Angry-Tongue:

He was quoting a song from Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", the album cover pictured in my avatar :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He was quoting a song from Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here", the album cover pictured in my avatar :D

Ooppss... I thought it was newbie blues... my bad! At least I answered the question...

OP
Reaction score
It's quite normal what you see. By default, the MacBook creates an extended desktop on the TV to the right of the desktop on the Mac. Don't switch to mirrored mode, because it'll mess up the mac display.

All you need to do is drag you window to the right and you should see it appear on the TV screen. If you really want your dock and taskbar on the TV screen, you can adjust things via system preferences, and go to screen set up from there.

I usually just have it in extended mode and drag any windows I want to see on the TV onto that screen.

thanks,

will this also work in my 'windows partition' on my mac?

or do i need to do some windows 'set up'

??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks,

will this also work in my 'windows partition' on my mac?

or do i need to do some windows 'set up'

??

When I say window, I mean an application window, not the Microsoft Operating System 'Windows'.

You don't need to install anything. Just drag any active window over to the right, and you'll see it come onto the TV screen from the left.

OP
Reaction score
im about 3/4 of the way there, i can get a lot of stuff on the tv, but it seems to be a different width, and refresh rate? then the mac? ill keep trying, im almost there :)

puter looks way cool on a 46" lcd tv :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.