For those who didn't understand why some people are against App Store exclusivity

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Here is a perfect example.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10004278-1.html

A feature many have been dying for on the iPhone is the capability to tether your iPhone to a laptop for quick internet access on the go. It looks like someone made that dream come true, at least for a moment before Apple realized what happened and quickly made use of their monopolistic hold on applications for this device to quickly banish it forever.

When I first heard about the App Store and the fact that there was no other way to get applications onto my iPhone, this is the exact kind of behavior I knew would come up eventually. How many other apps people would have liked have been "rejected" by Apple? How many more will there be? For example, will we ever see an app for turn-by-turn GPS navigation, or is Apple never going to allow a company like TomTom to do that because they want to make it themselves?

I, for one, am pretty disgusted by this behavior and plan on jailbreaking my phone as soon as possible so I will have the freedom to use any developed application I want. Never has the term jailbreak been more fitting. I just hope this particular app will be re-released for jailbroken iPhones soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
They need an uncertified section for apps. Apps that apple doesn't look at at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Meh, I suspect that this may have had more to do with their contract with AT&T than Apple just being monopolistic. Do I like it? No. Is it the end of the world? No. Am I going to Jailbrake my phone? No.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If NetShare doesn't end up making its way back to the App Store as it did following the first take down, then I too will be jailbreaking my iPhone to gain access to the plethora of rejected apps out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I'm fairly certain that if everyone did this, AT&T's network couldn't handle the traffic of people running their home internet networks off their iPhones. I mean, we can't even direct download stuff to the iPhone off the internet now, or use Flash, and I'm sure that's a big part of the reason. Not to mention some AT&T DSL customers would probably stop paying for home internet.

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain that if everyone did this, AT&T's network couldn't handle the traffic of people running their home internet networks off their iPhones. I mean, we can't even direct download stuff to the iPhone off the internet now, or use Flash, and I'm sure that's a big part of the reason. Not to mention some AT&T DSL customers would probably stop paying for home internet.
Ok, I'm not sure if I'm following the conversation correctly so I'll give my two cents and hopefully I'm in the same ballpark as the rest of you.

The OP is saying the "banned" app made it possible to tether the iPhone to a laptop to run 3G internet connection? Sounds nifty. Although I have not been many places where I couldn't borrow a wi-fi connection, I suppose it would come in handy once in a while.

To answer the post that I quoted: I can't imagine someone giving up DSL to use the 3G from the iPhone. I like the fact that 3G is "twice as fast" as Edge but it's no replacement for "high-speed" internet at home.
I just can't see that many people choosing to tether as their main internet source. But I don't know enough about this sort of thing to really have my opinion count xD

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I understand that there are other issues causing Apple to not allow this like AT&T contractual issues, but this is just one situation where not having the freedom to use any app a person or company makes is crippling for the end users because there is no other way to gets apps on the phone. If Apple doesn't want to officially host such an app because of an agreement with AT&T, that's fine. But if we had the opportunity to load apps other ways, it would be better.

I just think it's too much control that Apple decides what apps I can or can't have. They can make their own apps and stifle competition by not allowing anything similar to go into the app store, hence my mention of TomTom developing a GPS app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Ok, I'm not sure if I'm following the conversation correctly so I'll give my two cents and hopefully I'm in the same ballpark as the rest of you.

The OP is saying the "banned" app made it possible to tether the iPhone to a laptop to run 3G internet connection? Sounds nifty. Although I have not been many places where I couldn't borrow a wi-fi connection, I suppose it would come in handy once in a while.

To answer the post that I quoted: I can't imagine someone giving up DSL to use the 3G from the iPhone. I like the fact that 3G is "twice as fast" as Edge but it's no replacement for "high-speed" internet at home.
I just can't see that many people choosing to tether as their main internet source. But I don't know enough about this sort of thing to really have my opinion count xD

Considering I'm not made of money (and DSL/Cable internet costs 40+ dollars a month) and 1.4 Mbps is more than enough for 95% of what I do, I'd definitely, DEFINITELY do this if I'd got Netshare while it was still out.

Reaction score
yeah but you do know AT&T has a 5gig soft cap on your usage right? your main internet source would be pretty sorry if all you had was 1.5 Mbps and 5 gig to use per month.

Reaction score
It's even more frustrating for us in the UK, considering O2 have no restriction on using a phone as a modem device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can't vouch for the US app store but NetShare is back up on the UK store and working fine :)

But for the record I don't like the restrictive nature of Apple's 'filtering'.

Same as I don't like the cut-down bluetooth or omitted MMS. All things I'd like to see opened up to developers. But times change and all good things come etc. Apple may have more to think about now that the app store has taken off in a big way. Already SE and Nokia are talking about a similar, less restricted store front for Symbian apps. Perhaps we'll see a little more flexibility as time goes on . . .

Reaction score
Can't vouch for the US app store but NetShare is back up on the UK store and working fine :)

Same as I don't like the cut-down bluetooth or omitted MMS. All things I'd like to see opened up to developers. But times change and all good things come etc. Apple may have more to think about now that the app store has taken off in a big way. Already SE and Nokia are talking about a similar, less restricted store front for Symbian apps. Perhaps we'll see a little more flexibility as time goes on . . .

Are you sure? I've been searching regularly since yesterday morning for Netshare but it's not on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
And it's gone again .......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Its not that fast, and it wouldn't cripple their network due to the fact that each user can only transfer so much, its not like just because its a laptop its transferring the data faster because there's more of it. If you need to load a huge internet page on your laptop or on the iphone it will take the same bandwidth and time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I agree, but to make this thing better with each update, i suppose that apple needs to leave a few features out each time to make it that much better the next haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.