Mac Mini connection to Apple 20 inch Cinema Display

Reaction score
Hi,

I am buying a second hand Mac Mini which is only 3 three months old - in fact it comes in the specs for a Mid-2011 model. Model No. 1347. It hasn't come yet but I am concerned about the connection to my existing Apple Cinema Display 20 inch.

I have researched it on the web but really it is very complex and information differs. Without seeing it, KRCS (Apple shop in Hull) say on phone that I will need a Mini Display Port to DVI adaptor. These are £25, so I don't want to make a mistake.

The included HDMI to DVI adaptor is for...?? Only for TV? I've seen a message on an Apple Support page dated 2010 saying that he used this for his Mac Mini > Apple 20", but I am not sure.

I shall not buy any adaptor until I see the Mac Mini. But please can someone reassure me that I WILL be able to connect the two items?

The Apple Cinema Display 20 inch that I have has a cable which ends in a male connector which I can see has a small flat (male) slot beside 18 pins which are arranged in 2 square blocks of 9 pins each. Clearly I need a connector to the Mac Mini which has a female end.

Does this connector go into the Thunderbolt port or into HDMI? If HDMI, then I can use the given cable. If Thunderbolt, then which do I need to buy?

And, crucially, am I going to be able to connect them?? Or should I cancel the order for my Mac Mini!!

Confused!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
You will be able to use the HDMI - DVI adapter that was supplied with the Mac Mini with your 20" Cinema Display.

OP
M
Reaction score
You will be able to use the HDMI - DVI adapter that was supplied with the Mac Mini with your 20" Cinema Display.

Thank you, this is interesting.

And further on I see that by resolution, my Apple 20" will be okay using the cable supplied with the MacMini (HDMI to DVI).

So perhaps I won't need to buy anything extra for the connection.

But I would be very interested to see a better picture of this supplied cable (better than I can see on the Apple site), if anyone can find one? Just so I can be sure that the male end of my Apple 20" will fit into it. See above for description.

Thank you, that would be great!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
All sorts of pics already in post # 4 here.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And yes, the HDMI to DVI adapter will have the female DVI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
But I would be very interested to see a better picture of this supplied cable (better than I can see on the Apple site), if anyone can find one? Just so I can be sure that the male end of my Apple 20" will fit into it.

It will fit and work, your proposed configuration is a common one I've used/seen many times, not just a 'likely to work'. Your 20" Cinema Display resolution is within the resolution capability of the HDMI port, and the HDMI - DVI adapter is made to mate with the DVI connector used by your display. I would only spec a Mini DisplayPort - DVI adapter for higher resolution displays outside the HDMI ports resolution capability or if you were using multiple displays.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.