macbook mini dv to hdmi...no sound

Reaction score
Hi ...i have a macbook 2.26 ghz intel core 2 duo using version 10.6.8 os...i connected a mini dv to an hdmi cable to my tv but i still have no sound.
I tried connecting a 3.5mm to a stereo rca y cable connector but still no sound...any help would be greatly appreciative. btw i have the belkin mini dv to hdmi adapter...purchased macbook in 2010....

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is no such thing as a "mini dv" video port on any Mac.

The late '09 model MB with the 2.26 Ghz chip would have a "mini displayport" (or mdp for short).
It does not support audio out through the video port.
You will have to use a separate cable for the audio with most of the adapters out there.

You should have a read through Post # 3, the Second: section - here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

If you have problems figuring it out, you'll need to provide the make and model # of your TV for the specific connections &/or settings required on the TV.

Reaction score
No Audio with mini dvi to hdmi

Hi

I have a macbook version 10.5.8
mac os x
processor 1.83 ghz

I know the mini dvi to hdmi adapter does not carry audio, so how do I get audio?
I have a good picture on my apex digital flat screen, but no sound.
I also bought a red and white cable for sound to connect to the headphone input on macbook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
Hi

I have a macbook version 10.5.8
mac os x
processor 1.83 ghz

I know the mini dvi to hdmi adapter does not carry audio, so how do I get audio?
I have a good picture on my apex digital flat screen, but no sound.
I also bought a red and white cable for sound to connect to the headphone input on macbook.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

your macbook headphone jack input should have male to male ends, one single audio cable to tv audio in jack. that should do it. sample of audio cable
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Reaction score
Ycl: this is not the same as the headphone jack to red and white Audio? I have a red and white audio jack next to hdmi on side of apex tv.

Dysfunction. I read your link many times and it was of no help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
kutekat73,
my samsung tv has audio in jack, one single audio cable does the job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Once you've connected the 3.5mm headphone out to your MacBook and the L R white/red phono plugs to the TV you may need to go into the TV settings and switch the audio in source as the TV will default to audio in from HDMI.

Also, you say you've read the link Dysfunction posted many times yet you haven't posted the information it requests.

Reaction score
I've posted all the info I have on my Mac. And the kind of apex tv I have.
U tv audio does not allow for this adjustment.

Thank you ycl I will try the cable you suggest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
An "Apex digital flat screen" isn't going to help people find info to help you without adding model numbers etc.

Good luck with the other cable but if the HDMI input doesn't have an alternative audio in on the tv it's never going to work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My replies are not nasty you were directed to comprehensive help which you clearly didn't read and understand. So people have just have had to guess what's available on you tv.

But my comment stands your tv may have audio in but if your HDMI input cannot accept that audio in as an input rather than expecting the audio across the HDMI cable it will not work.

Don't mistake fact for nasty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It does have an audio in. Your nasty replies are not needed plow.

Yep, so far the information you've been given is 100% correct. We have no knowledge of your TV, so I can't even google it and read your owners manual for you. Really, this is what I'd suggest you do, it sure beats getting defensive when getting FREE technical support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
On the tv, it should have dvi/pc audio in jack, using the single audio cable male to male ends, one goes to mbp speaker jack the other goes to tv audio in jack. As simple as this. since you have mentioned there is audio in jack on your tv.
Macbook pro produced after mid 2010 does not require extra audio cable.
I am waiting for the mountain lion to come out with airplay, buy an Apple tv module, all the cables will be absolute. And we do not have to be on each other throat. Life is meant to be taken easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The tech specs suggest there's a 3.5mm audio connector near the VGA in.

Most of the info suggests its only active when the VGA input is selected on the tv but..... It may be auto switching so all you can do is try, select the HDMI input that your mac is connected to and connect a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male audio cable from the headphone socket on you mac to the audio input by the VGA connector on the tv.

Fingers crossed its auto switching and you'll get audio. If it's 'tied' to the VGA input we might have to think again

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
See both of my posts here.

The above is a good try, but yeah, the VGA audio input on all the TVs I've seen will only work with the VGA input.

If you do not have an audio input labeled as "DVI" or "HDMI/DVI", the likelihood that you can use a separate audio input with HDMI on that TV is slim to none. You really need to find your owner's manual or call Apex support. Not that they would have a clue - most TV support techs are blissfully ignorant when it comes to connecting computers to their TVs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.