iCloud in MBP (2009) preference pane not working...any ideas?

Reaction score
Hi, I have successfully updated to the new Lion (10.7.2) and IOS 5 on my iPhone but I cannot connect to iCloud in my system preference pane. It keeps stating that I can't sign in a this time, but I am able to login into iCloud.com and I am also able to login into iCloud via my iphone. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am not able to login into it via the preference pane? or is there something on my MBP that might be blocking it? I have attached a pic to show what it keeps saying

Thank you

Screen Shot 2011-10-13 at 6.09.09 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
It's probably over-whelmed servers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Unless you have some elaborate network setup, probably not. Give it some time as alluded to by Dysfunction - Apple is getting hammered with requests all over the place today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and... FWIW iCloud isn't working for me at all today. Of course, it barely worked yesterday. Mobile Me took over a month to become even reasonably reliable on it's introduction.. I really don't anticipate better for iCloud to be honest (at least since Mobile Me was a paid subscription there were financial incentives to fix it).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Interesting. I've had no issue with it. In fact, it's been rock solid since I started using it yesterday. Granted, I don't have any demanding cloud related needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interesting. I've had no issue with it. In fact, it's been rock solid since I started using it yesterday. Granted, I don't have any demanding cloud related needs.

I can't even check my email dude (hardly a demanding task). The IMAP servers refuse connections, this is true on all my devices in the house (and multiple accounts). Their services page shows some issues.

If you went through the .mac > mobile me transition, this should be of no surprise.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't do any of the transitions (.Mac to MM or MM to iCloud) nor am I using iCloud's email service. I really only use the calendar sync (which I live by) and the contact sync.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't do any of the transitions (.Mac to MM or MM to iCloud) nor am I using iCloud's email service. I really only use the calendar sync (which I live by) and the contact sync.

Ahhhhh see.. there ya go ;)

really glad I'm done paying for these services btw. Always kind of felt cheated.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, just tried again when I got home from work. Still get the same screen in the preference pane...I have not found another person with this exact issue yet so I thinking in might be a setting on my macbook.

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here... :)

Actually I came hunting for a solution to a similar problem... Not exactly but somewhat close... Or maybe not...

I created the icloud account and set up everything... Now when I logged into icloud.com and clicked on mail it asked me to create an id using system preferences --> icloud... I did that and then clicked on the check next to
"mail & notes" under system preferences --> icloud... But when I close preferences it unchecks itself.. Same thing with system preferences --> Mails, Contacts & Calenders --> icloud...

Can anyone give me a pointer as to where could the issue be...?

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, just tried again when I got home from work. Still get the same screen in the preference pane...I have not found another person with this exact issue yet so I thinking in might be a setting on my macbook.

mine is exactly the same and i can't sort it.....:Angry:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
really glad I'm done paying for these services btw. Always kind of felt cheated.
There were always free services that replicated most (if not all) the functionality of MobileMe. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There were always free services that replicated most (if not all) the functionality of MobileMe. ;)
The fully integrated contacts as push based synchs, that was the only function worth paying for ;)

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problem. Occurs on two different machines, a mac pro and a macbook pro. Only thing of note about my situation is that I was a MobileMe user for a longtime, and used to have a .mac address. I've tried getting out of iCloud and back in, and making sure my iCloud id was correct, all to no avail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.