iMac wonkiness

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I just got a Mazda 3 which can read the text info on CDs for track name and artist, etc. I turned this on in iTunes but the disc will not burn, and the burn will not cancel. I couldn't eject the CD so I had to reboot into Open Frimware (3 times this happened).

Upon booting into OF, the very first line reads:
Code:
bad Bus Info (CRC-16)

I ejected the CD, went back into OF and the message was still there. I then did command+option+p+r to reset PRAM (I believe that is the correct key combo). It still has the message.

I have also noticed that my Mac has been slower than usual for a while. Programs load slower, internet goes slower (don't know how this could be affected by it but who knows), sometimes things stutter (freeze for a second).

Could the bad bus info be what is causing my slowness and the iTunes not working? I was considering doing an Archive Install, but could that possibly leave something else that is causing the problem (I know it won't solve the CRC thing). I may have to move my important data to the other iMac over the network (30+GB would take a while) and do a full clean install.

My Mac has been great for over 1 year and 7 months. Maybe it is starting to show it's age. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
oh no, you broke it. You should ALWAYS backup regularly, but you should go ahead and do that. To many people wait till there is a problem, and often it's to late. Which(model) iMac is it??

Is "wonkiness" a technical term?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
oh no, you broke it. You should ALWAYS backup regularly, but you should go ahead and do that. To many people wait till there is a problem, and often it's to late. Which(model) iMac is it??

wonky = quirky. British? Possibly. It'll be nice when Leopard comes out and people's HDs will automatically be backed up with Time Machine.

OP
claudius753
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Which(model) iMac is it??

It's a G5 2.0 GHz. CRC = Cyclical Redundancy Check, I believe, but I'm not sure what the 16 stands for.

I do have my most important data backed up, but it would be nice if I didn't have to re-download all my apps, import my CDs again, etc. Not data that is lost, but I PITA to get back.

Wow, I wasn't aware that 'wonkiness' was a British term, I'm a Yank. And yes, yes it is a technical term... :spook: :mac:

Reaction score
Wonky, in England, means lop-sided, askew. Used in this context it seems to be the American equivalent of "screwy".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Odd, is it still in warranty.

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.
Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are

There are a bunch of G5 troubleshooting articles here

If reseting the those doesn't work,I would suggest, if you know how, and it's out of warranty, open it up, and make sure all the connections are secure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.