I'd like to "roll back" to an old version of an iOS app but don't have one on my mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi
I use a 3GS and find myself using skype an awful lot. I updated the app recently and it's so incredibly unstable and crashes contstantly and without warning.

I'd like to revert to an older version but don'y have one on my computer to fall back on. Is there a website I can use find old verions of iOS apps? and how would I go about installing them?

This would be great for another app I have that I have updated and is consequently unplayable ((Bop-it) I know its kinda lame)

**I did a search earlier and found a source for old versions but I think all of the apps are cracked versions? I'm looking for a means of obtaining old apps I own not illegal copies is there anyway I can get Itunes to recognise these old verions that arent downloaded from itunes? like i said I have pruchase rights to the app

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
What is your backup solution?

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

I have checked my computer and I have back ups of neither app. Can I just download a cracked one put it in the correct folder and itunes will pick it up if i have actually purchased it?

OP
H
Reaction score
Well I hope you enjoyed your brief time here.

wow, thanks for your help.

I'm not a pirate. I don't have a jailbroken phone. Perhaps you should read peoples posts before making accusations?

I simply want to acquire old versions of two apps which are not broken for me. As Apple don't let you download old versions I am trying to find a solution.

Like I said I have purchased these apps and was asking if there is way to get an old version up and running if you had unfortunately updated all versions you have.

I don't know how apple DRM works but I assume as I have purchased these apps if I can acquire the old versions my devices will recognize them?
Is this correct and if so where can i get old versions of apps?

I’d genuinely appreciate any assistance. Thank you

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Regardless of the validity of your argument, the policy of this site is to not condone, discuss or facilitate piracy. There is no way for anyone here to provide that information for you without doing at least one of those things.

Sorry we can't help you here. My suggestion would be to contact Apple iTunes support for help. They may be able to give you a link to an older version.

Reaction score
The legal way.

Contrary to popular belief it is possible to get the developer to send you a copy of the app, beta or otherwise, without resorting to anything like piracy or dubious methods.

Most developers are signed up to services like TestFlight, and as such they can issue you with a small file that acts as an authentication for use of an app they develop, from a source other than the iTunes store. This service allows them to send out apps to a select few uses who will Test the functions of the app for them in a real life situation.

If you contact the developer they could provide you with this, and then you would be emailed the app to install on your device. As most developers will have a list of all machines that have their software on, they are able to verify your machine against the original purchase.

You might also be helping them develop a version that was more stable with your setup.

Another bonus is that as this is not in the usual development tree for the apps, it would never inform you that an update existed. Further, you could also test the new version without losing the old one as the two can co-exist on the same device.

However, there is usually a limit to the authentication license, but at least you could get it working again.

So, to summarise, I would suggest you contact the developer and see if there is anyway they could help you using that method. No guarantees but it is worth a try.

C

chas_m

wow, thanks for your help.

I'm not a pirate. I don't have a jailbroken phone. Perhaps you should read peoples posts before making accusations?

Dude, YOU'RE the one who brought up the subject of cracked apps. Nobody accused you of anything.

The conversation ended right there. We don't discussion those topics. End of story.

Sorry if you're having trouble getting that.

Reaction score
Well I hope you enjoyed your brief time here.

Dude, YOU'RE the one who brought up the subject of cracked apps. Nobody accused you of anything.

The conversation ended right there. We don't discussion those topics. End of story.

Sorry if you're having trouble getting that.

I found this thread because I am having the same problem as Hooble (the app being Foursquare, a free app, and every version after 4.2.3 being horrible).

However, that is not why I am posting here. I am merely incredulous that anyone would post over 10000 times on a Apple help forum and yet be absolutely hostile towards a user who has a legitimate need for help and merely asked for a solution that is explicitly protected by fair use law.

In the 18 years I have had access to the web, I have encountered many unlikeable people. But you, chas_m, truly stand out as one of the biggest tools on the internet. I created an account on this forum because I felt it was important to tell you that.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Insults direct or implied are not in accordance with community guidelines. Since this thread has served it's purpose it will now be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.