Help Please! Airport showing full signal but no internet connection.

• Thread starter Louise McSharry
  • Start date
L

Louise McSharry

Please please please help, I am tearing my bloody hair out here. I have used my macbook several times with many different wireless networks, and most of the time it works fine.

However, twice, I have had problems with 2 seperate wireless networks. Basically, airport connects and shows full signal, but then when I try to open safari it says there is no internet connection.

I have looked and looked and looked for a solution but no joy. Has anyone had the same problem? Any advice? I have connected to these specific networks before without problems, and the PCs in the house are having no trouble so it is definitely functioning.

I really would be grateful if someone could help. :bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
are they your personal networks? im wondering because maybe some mac filtering is going on. i did that, and mine would show connected, but as you say, "no internet connection detected".

Reaction score
I had this problem with an iMac (intel) and an airport (extreme base with an express for range/iTunes). My issue was I'm using DSL with PPPoE, and my modem/router (Westell 6100) was configured as a router with PPPoE handling, as was my Airport Extreme . . . I think they fought over who was maintaining the PPPoE connection. I reset my Westell to "dumb modem" mode and let the Airport maintain the PPPoE and that seems to have solved the problem.

Reaction score
Full Power Wireless Used Daily Since Jan1- No Connection After Unplgd

I've been using my connection since Jan1, cleaned up yesterday, unplugging and replacing every part properly. Now internet shows up as full power- however my computer says "No Internet Connection". Restarted everything several times. Network Diagnosis doesnt help. Any clues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced > Airport and delete the account by highlighting and using the little (-) buttonj and set up a new WPA2 Personal account and password.

Reaction score
This sounds precisely like the problem I posted about elsewhere here. For me it's an mDNSResponder issue. For whatever reason my Wi-Fi connection will work for anywhere between 5 minutes and a few hours with no problem whatsoever. Then.. all DNS requests get ignored (or dropped, or sent to purgatory.. I'm not sure) but, accordingly, I'm not able to connect to the internet.

When this happens.. try clicking your Wi-Fi icon and "Turn AirPort Off" and then turn it back on again after a few seconds and reconnect. I've found that often resets the issue and you're again good for 5 minutes to a few hours. But just a band-aid.

I'm sorry to say that, after about a year of research into this, I've only found 2 solutions that can guarantee me a stable connection:

1) Reboot the machine when it happens. Yes.. every single time. :(
2) Windows XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
To better diagnose some of these things posting your internet service provider ,modem/router make and model along with model and year of Mac along with what OS. Also if wireless state if a,b,g or n and 2.4GHz or 5GHz. Thanks.

Reaction score
ISP: RoadRunner (Time Warner)
Modem: Cisco DPC2100R2
Router: Both Medialink Wireless-N Router MWN-WAPR150N and D-Link DIR-615
Mac: 13" Macbook Early 2009
OS(s): Both Leopard and Snow Leopard
Wireless: In both g and n (mixed or exclusive with either); 2.4 GHz

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ISP: RoadRunner (Time Warner)
Modem: Cisco DPC2100R2
Router: Both Medialink Wireless-N Router MWN-WAPR150N and D-Link DIR-615
Mac: 13" Macbook Early 2009
OS(s): Both Leopard and Snow Leopard
Wireless: In both g and n (mixed or exclusive with either); 2.4 GHz

How are you routing from the Cisco to _______ to ________ and if one is N and
the other G are they on different channels ? Make sure your not double NATing.

Reaction score
Did all that..

I have deleted the network, re-added with correct password- however will not connect- "Airport does not have an ip address and will not connect to the internet" is this obvious? everything has been rebooted several times:Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have deleted the network, re-added with correct password- however will not connect- "Airport does not have an ip address and will not connect to the internet" is this obvious? everything has been rebooted several times:Lips-Are-Sealed:

In the Airport do you have IPv4 set to DHCP also did you click on renew lease?

Reaction score
Yes and Yes, "THe Airport has no IP Address and cannot connect to the internet" :-(

Reaction score
How are you routing from the Cisco to _______ to ________ and if one is N and
the other G are they on different channels ? Make sure your not double NATing.

I should rephrase my earlier post:

I've had this problem with both routers individually. I've tried multiple solutions with both of these routers to no avail. Same with the OS.

Reaction score
I have restarted computer and wireless router- turned off airport, deleted networks, re-added networks using proper password. Full Power, renewed lease, IPv4 is using DHCP. Been Using for 4 months no problems- unplugged cable for 20 minutes while cleaning, roomates still use wireless with no problems- only my computer.

First said "Airport has no IP address and cannot connect" now says "Airport has self-assigned IP address ______ and will not be able to connect to the internet."

Please help I just want to understand!

Reaction score
I have restarted computer and wireless router- turned off airport, deleted networks, re-added networks using proper password. Full Power, renewed lease, IPv4 is using DHCP. Been Using for 4 months no problems- unplugged cable for 20 minutes while cleaning, roomates still use wireless with no problems- only my computer.

First said "Airport has no IP address and cannot connect" now says "Airport has self-assigned IP address ______ and will not be able to connect to the internet."

Please help I just want to understand!

Wait.. what 'cable'? If you're using Wi-Fi there shouldn't be any cables.

Reaction score
You need to manually assign an I P address to your computer-one that yout router handles i.e. 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.9

Reaction score
No Internet Connection but has Airport Signal as connected...

This issue happened for me about a month or so after I upgraded my MacBook to Snow Leopard. I talked to an apple rep today who walked me through some other steps that didn't fix the issue.

So finally I was told I needed to reinstall Snow Leopard and IT FIXED THE PROBLEM!! I DID NOT do an erase and install. This was an install that kept my existing files/settings in tact which was great. (The rep said as a last resort I would have had to do a erase and install, but we didn't have to resort to that...)

First I was told to put the install Snow Leopard DVD in the disc drive. Then I shut down my machine. Then I hit the power button and held down the "Option" button at the same time until I saw the hard drive symbol and the DVD disc symbol appear on screen (my machine spit out the Snow Leopard DVD and I had to push it back in twice until it "took" and the disc icon appeared on screen). I clicked on the DVD icon and hit the arrow. Then I followed the prompts to install Snow Leopard. It took about 40 minutes. I restarted my MacBook, and voila! It works and I can use Safari, Firefox, etc.

Reaction score
No Internet Connection but Airport Signal says connected...

This issue happened for me about a month or so after I upgraded my MacBook to Snow Leopard. I talked to an apple rep today who walked me through some other steps that didn't fix the issue.

So finally I was told I needed to reinstall Snow Leopard and IT FIXED THE PROBLEM!! I DID NOT do an erase and install. This was an install that kept my existing files/settings in tact which was great. (The rep said as a last resort I would have had to do a erase and install, but we didn't have to resort to that...)

First I was told to put the install Snow Leopard DVD in the disc drive. Then I shut down my machine. Then I hit the power button and held down the "Option" button at the same time until I saw the hard drive symbol and the DVD disc symbol appear on screen (my machine spit out the Snow Leopard DVD and I had to push it back in twice until it "took" and the disc icon appeared on screen). I clicked on the DVD icon and hit the arrow. Then I followed the prompts to install Snow Leopard. It took about 40 minutes. I restarted my MacBook, and voila! It works and I can use Safari, Firefox, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.