iPad 1 lags

Reaction score
I was one of the early adopters of the iPad, i got mine on launch day '10. Yet although the device is only 1.5 years older, on certain apps the device lags so much it is unusable. The apps I have noticed this on are:

-Keynote
-Pages
-Garageband
-and iPod (sometimes)

I realize these are all pretty intensive apps, but you would think that the device wouldn't be antiquated after 1 year. Is there something I can do to alleviate this?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Pages here is very smooth. Only lag I have noticed with iWork Apps is in Numbers when opening a large finance SpreadSheet I made up. Nothing bad but lags a bit when trying to open it. It's fine after that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I don't really notice any of that on mine - also acquired on launch day. Although, I don't use GarageBand - I can sure see how you could max out 256MB of RAM with it. Try powering down once in awhile to purge the memory, especially after intense use of GarageBand.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another thought triggered by Bobs post. How many apps are actually running when you notice the lag?

Garage Band I am also sure takes up a lot of ram.

C

chas_m

The problem is likely to be that you're not periodically closing all the open apps. This can easily be done by actually shutting down the iPad (not put to sleep) and then starting it up again, or you can do it manually.

Garageband is likely to lag a little on an iPad 1, since it was designed specifically for the iPad 2. Everything else should be working fine.

OP
I
Reaction score
The problem is likely to be that you're not periodically closing all the open apps. This can easily be done by actually shutting down the iPad (not put to sleep) and then starting it up again, or you can do it manually.

I've done both of those things, but it doesn't really help. I should also say that I have dropped the device multiple times face-first on the ground; once with a running start. Maybe its just a side effect of the abuse I put it through ;P

C

chas_m

Ah. Yes. Well. Ha-hem.

You can try finding another iPad owner who has some or all of those apps on an iPad 1 and compare, but I think you'll find that the problem may stem from as you say your abuse. It could well be that you've damaged one or more of the memory cells, which would account for the performance you're seeing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.