Clean install of Snow Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", i7, 12GB
I'm using a late 2010 iMac (27'', i7, 12Gb) and it seems to be noticeably slower than it used to be. I have decided to do a clean install of Snow Leopard in the hope that it will 'clean' things up. What I'm not sure about is whether to use the Time Machine backup to re-install my programs etc., or to manually re-install everything! I'm worried that a Time Machine migration may carry over some 'grunge' and 'stuff' that may still cause it to run at less than peak performance.

If I get it back to peak performance I may consider upgrading to Mavericks.

Any advice would be appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm worried that a Time Machine migration may carry over some 'grunge' and 'stuff' that may still cause it to run at less than peak performance.

If you have concerns...then do a fresh install of all apps.

I will mention...that unless something very unusual is going on with your computer...the slowness is either due to the user (not being aware of how the computer works)...or the hard drive is failing (not the user).

We get lots & lots of questions about "slow computers"...and it almost always comes down to the same answers/solutions. Many of these threads can be searched for & read.:)

If I get it back to peak performance I may consider upgrading to Mavericks.

Is this a threat or a promise!;)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", i7, 12GB
An example. When I switch off the computer and leave overnight, which I do about every 10 days, then reboot it takes a few minutes to boot up. If i then click on Safari, it can take up to 10 mins before the HDD stops spinning and Safari becomes fully useable. After that Safari functions normally. I do a lot of still image processing in Photoshop and that seems to slow down over the days, particularly during heavy use with Nik FX.

Tillman

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How full is your hard drive (gigs used and gigs free)?

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", i7, 12GB
Disc utility reporting 585Gb used, 414 Gb free.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", i7, 12GB
Thanks for your help and advice. I checked and repaired permissions on the HDD then did a reboot and the increase in performance was not subtle. I also verified the HDD and it was OK. Cleaned out 185GB from trash!! Checked start up scripts, only 2, iTunes Helper and WD item for my Time Machine and Raid backup HDDs.

Just need to decide if a clean install is needed and do I go over to Mavericks???

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
185 GB in the trash? Appears you move a lot of stuff on and off the drive. Highly likely you could use a defrag on the drive. Your data and the free space is undoubtedly spread out from one end of the drive to the other which will cause longer reads and writes for just about everything.

Two ways:
Get iDefrag - you can grab their demo to check the fragmentation of the drive

Or backup, verify the backup, wipe the drive, reinstall the OS and on 1st boot up when it asks - restore from the backup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're ready to move to 10.9, would suggest:
creating not only a TM backup, but a clone backup as well - using either CCC or SD!
download 10.9 and create a thumb drive installer - before you install it - plenty of tutorials via google.

Once you have a TM and a clone backup and the thumb drive installer, then it's time to wipe, install and restore from backup.
Leave your cloned backup alone for a few days until you're sure you're going to stay with 10.9

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.