Time Capsule (1TB) - 1MacBookPro 500gbHD -1iMAC 500gbHD - Not Enough Space to backup?

Reaction score
Here's the deal - as the title says..

I have an Apple Time Capsule running my network and the 1TB Drive is used for ONLY BACKING Up both Mac's. Each Mac only has a 500gb HD that neither is full, but my MBP will never finish a full backup because there's not enough space on the Time Capsules HD. ---- Even if BOTH MBP and iMAC was FULL it should be equal to the 1TB (500gb+500gb=) simple math - so i Thought.
What did i do wrong?? Why is1TB not enough space to have a complete active backup for both the iMAC and MacBook Pro??? My only guess is Time Machine is making Multiple Backup's each time storing more and more into each backup adding changes from day to day??? So I have a complete backup for the iMAC going back DAY by DAY for who knows how far back. The MacBOOK Pro has Time Machine backing up too but I always get an error that there isn't enough space.

Any Idea's? Suggestions??? I would like it to make a complete backup of each machine that I can restore from if need....what am i doing wrong??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
---- Even if BOTH MBP and iMAC was FULL it should be equal to the 1TB (500gb+500gb=) simple math - so i Thought.

Just so you know...just about no hard drive since the beginning of time actually formats to it's advertised size. A 1 terabyte drive will format to somewhere in the neighborhood of 930 gigabytes.

It's not that the manufacturer is being dishonest or anything...it's simply a "math thing":

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100329081701AAud0dQ

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to a more appropriate sub-forum. Not really a "Switcher Hangout" topic.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.