Illustrator Font Help

Reaction score
You guys know of anyway to chose which fonts load in Illustrator or any of the other Adobe programs. I want to optimize performance but I have a lot of unneccesary fonts that need be taken out. I checked Font Book but there are a lot of fonts that appear in Illustrator that aren't in Foot Book for me to disable. Any guesses? Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Hi bartleby! I would say you need a font management app like Extensis' Suitcase Fusion or Linotype's FontExplorer X.

I tried FontExplorer a year or so ago and didn't like it much. I'm studying in desktop publishing this year and the school uses Suitcase and I find it works better. Maybe you might want to give FontExplorer a try (it's a freebie). If the test isn't conclusive I would say you should go with Suitcase: very powerful, very sleek so far (on Panther...) but it costs some dollars though. :eek:

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi bartleby! I would say you need a font management app like Extensis' Suitcase Fusion or Linotype's FontExplorer X.

I tried FontExplorer a year or so ago and didn't like it much. I'm studying in desktop publishing this year and the school uses Suitcase and I find it works better. Maybe you might want to give FontExplorer a try (it's a freebie). If the test isn't conclusive I would say you should go with Suitcase: very powerful, very sleek so far (on Panther...) but it costs some dollars though. :eek:

I have Suitcase but I don't see any fonts that are activated that would be in Illustrator. I can't find out which program is activating those useless fonts.

M

MacHeadCase

In this .pdf from Suitcase, you'll see how to deal with the fonts you don't want to load all the time by default with Illustrator. Refer to Sec1:4 (page 6 of 16) the .pdf will guide you through pruning your fonts. I know they talk mostly of Classic fonts but there is a short reference to the Adobe fonts (OpenType) and it's basically the same procedure. You get more info in Sec1:5 (7 of 16) for the Adobe fonts you wish to disable.

This thread from Apple Discussions might also be helpful to you.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Linotype Font Explorer is much better than Suitcase, and free.

Use it to deactivate all your fonts, apart from the system ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.