.jpgs Edited in ACDSEE Not Compatible on Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I need some help with files that my wife edited on her Windows machine using AcdSee. The edited files keep coming up with compatibility errors in preview, won't display in iPhoto and Aperture 2.

What's worse is I 'switched' my wife to a Mac over the weekend with the promise of compatibility and stability. She agreed, under duress, so long as the transition would be easy and painless. So far her JPGs aren't compatible and 10.5 has crashed several times....needless to say she's been studying the styrafoam packaging to determine how to put it back in the box and return the iMac....Thus I need a FAST resolution to save egg on my face and keep me from burning one weekend a month cleaning virii and spyware from the XP machine. HELP!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That really makes no sense as I used to use AcdSee on the pc and all my pics that I have ever looked at worked fine. Will check around and see what I can find.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
HELP!! Switched wife from Windows....JPGs not Compatible

Original Post Here I posted this in the Photogaphy section but it's also a "switcher" issue. Can those experienced with JPGs edited on a Windows machine click the link and offer some advice?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Merged crossposts

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That really makes no sense as I used to use AcdSee on the pc and all my pics that I have ever looked at worked fine. Will check around and see what I can find.

dtravis7 - I haven't used ACDSEE in years, but one thought came to mind. Is it possible that ACDSEE might tack on a secondary extension to files that are edited - and maybe OS X doesn't display the extension as it thinks it's a known file type? Just a shot in the dark - doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CWA, good point. It's been a long time for me also with using it. Worth a check for sure.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
dtravis7 - I haven't used ACDSEE in years, but one thought came to mind. Is it possible that ACDSEE might tack on a secondary extension to files that are edited - and maybe OS X doesn't display the extension as it thinks it's a known file type? Just a shot in the dark - doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me either.
I do know that my wife generally edits the landscape/portrait orientations and then deletes the optional "save original". Could it be that it tags the edited file with additional information (not understandable by anything other than Acdesee) if for some manner the user chooses to undo? The additional tagging may in fact be code that links-back to the original? The edited version is fully viewable in Windows, however, without AcdSee.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to leave but when I return I will download AcDsee and edit a pic and get back to you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I have to leave but when I return I will download AcDsee and edit a pic and get back to you.
I think its an older version of AcdSee. Maybe I can upload it here (one of the photos in question, that is...)?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do know that my wife generally edits the landscape/portrait orientations and then deletes the optional "save original". Could it be that it tags the edited file with additional information (not understandable by anything other than Acdesee) if for some manner the user chooses to undo? The additional tagging may in fact be code that links-back to the original? The edited version is fully viewable in Windows, however, without AcdSee.

Are the file extensions .JPG?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think its an older version of AcdSee. Maybe I can upload it here (one of the photos in question, that is...)?

Hmmm... maybe you can attach one of the suspect files?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
download and try Xee

that might be able to view and re-save the images.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
Hmmm... maybe you can attach one of the suspect files?
OK...now that I'm back at home...I've taken a closer look at the files. They seen normal but definitely something odd is occurring.

First of all, all these files still reside on my wife's old laptop. I've set-up the folders to be shared in XP and hard-connected the ethernet port of the laptop to my AEBS.

When I connect though Finder, some of the files just show that they are JPGs (via the appropriate "JPG" text across the icon) while others are thumbnail icons of the actual photo.
So I thought that I would copy them over to the iMac to work with them locally. Here's where it gets odd....The files that show as thumbnails copied over fine while the others (as "JPG" icons) copied over as 0KB files with a pop-up saying I didn't have the necessary permissions to view/edit the files.

A.) Why would some of the files be OK (permission-wise) while others not?
B.) How do I unlock those un-permissioned files so I can work with them.

I suspect that viewing them has nothing to do with AcdSee but file permissions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I downloaded the 7 Day trial of the latest AcDsee. I edited a pic in the editor and added text to the pic. Saved it and logged into the PC with my iMac with 10.5.5. Picture had a preview and works perfectly in Preview.

Not sure what is going on. Do try Xee like Eric suggested and see if they show up. If Xee does not show them then it might be a permission issue. It works here.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Just curious, what OS is on her PC? XP? Vista?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
I downloaded the 7 Day trial of the latest AcDsee. I edited a pic in the editor and added text to the pic. Saved it and logged into the PC with my iMac with 10.5.5. Picture had a preview and works perfectly in Preview.

Not sure what is going on. Do try Xee like Eric suggested and see if they show up. If Xee does not show them then it might be a permission issue. It works here.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Just curious, what OS is on her PC? XP? Vista?
yes it seems to be a permission issue. See my post #13 above.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes it seems to be a permission issue. See my post #13 above.

How did you copy them over? Network? Flash Drive?

Again what OS is on the PC? I am guessing XP but want to be sure as many have had strange issues with Vista.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
How did you copy them over? Network? Flash Drive?

Again what OS is on the PC? I am guessing XP but want to be sure as many have had strange issues with Vista.
XP Media Center Edition, to be exact, and Yes, copying a over network. I have the XP machine connected to my Airport Extreme Base Station ethernet port. The iMac is using WiFi.

A flash drive is a good idea but there are many more files that I need to copy over still. If I run into this problem elsewhere, I need to be able to resolve it....there are gigabytes of data I need to copy to the iMac....

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you connect to the shared drive on the Windows machine, it should prompt you for a username and password. This is the username and password of the local account on the Windows box. You'll need to check this user's group membership. If the user is just the Guest account (typically turned off), you may need to create an additional user account to use for file sharing that is a member of the Power Users group (or better).

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53Ghz Macbook Pro
When you connect to the shared drive on the Windows machine, it should prompt you for a username and password. This is the username and password of the local account on the Windows box. You'll need to check this user's group membership. If the user is just the Guest account (typically turned off), you may need to create an additional user account to use for file sharing that is a member of the Power Users group (or better).
there is no user name or password for the XP log-on. Many of the files...right next to those in question....are viewable, editable and can be copied so none of this makes sense.

Furhtermore, it never asks me for a user/password. However, there is a "Connect As". I suppose if the XP machine did have a log-on, thats where it would be.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there is no user name or password for the XP log-on. Many of the files...right next to those in question....are viewable, editable and can be copied so none of this makes sense.

Sounds like you're using the Guest account (and yes, the Windows machine must have credentials supplied to it in order for you to access its drives remotely - this may have been hidden from you, or there is no password set, but it still needs authentication).

On the Windows machine, right-click My Computer in the Start Menu. Click Manage. Go into Local Users and Groups. Click on Users. See what accounts are listed in there. The Guest Account should have a red X over it, if it does not, that's likely the account whose authority is being used to access the files. You'll want to change that for security reasons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.