iPhone 4 battery life...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, iPod Nano 5th Gen. Yellow 16GB, iPhone 3G 16GB
I just got an iPhone 4 and was ecstatic to receive it in the mail. I love everything about it, but I have noticed a significant change in the standby battery life. Statistics still say I should have 300 hours of standby, but I have noticed my batter drops bout 20% overnight, which would come out to not even 50 hours of standby time. Any ideas on why this might be? I didn't have this problem with my 3GS and I just synced up my iPhone 4 with all the saved settings on iTunes. Any ideas or advice would be hugely appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It's a smart phone. Regardless of what numbers they publish, you will likely NEVER see 300 hours (or 12 days) of standby on ANY smartphone without some sort of extraordinary settings, which would pretty much disable all of the things which make it a smartphone to begin with. My DroidX would last 2 days with very, very limited use. My current IP4 does about the same, though I generally charge it every night. I doubt either would last 2 full work days and evenings of normal use web surfing, phone talking, emailing, texting and checking the weather, etc...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
How many apps are open ?
Do you have Bluetooth enabled ?
Do you have push notification on ?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had a 3GS before, like I said, so I'm not expecting a miracle from the phone, but the 3GS would lose at most 3% overnight. I have both bluetooth and push turned off. I just think losing 20% of the battery life while the phone is doing virtually nothing seems really high.

M

mydisplaycare11

and this iphone is new? I don't think that's right.. Make sure you turn off wi-fi if you don't need it.

I actually had a similar question if I can add to this thread.. I got my iphone in February but I keep it charged every day, but I heard that destroys the battery a bit. How many days is it normal to wait between charges?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To get the longest life out of your battery (I mean long-term, not the life of just one charge), you should ideally wait to charge it until it's almost completely out of power. I try to wait until I'm down under 10%. Obviously that's not always possible, though.

Reaction score
To get the longest life out of your battery (I mean long-term, not the life of just one charge), you should ideally wait to charge it until it's almost completely out of power. I try to wait until I'm down under 10%. Obviously that's not always possible, though.
Don't do this - it'll shorten the long-term life of the battery a lot. Li-ion batteries don't like being fully cycled (charged then fully discharged), and it will kill it faster. All phones with Li-ion batteries should be charged whenever possible, and it's impossible to overcharge it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
On the average I charge mine every other day.

C

chas_m

One possible difference in the iPhone 4 and your old iPhone you *might* not be accounting for is background apps. Now, *most* background apps are inert when they're not in use, but I was recently surprised to discover that Skype for example *never signs out* and continues to receive chat messages, status updates etc (this can be changed in prefs, but I didn't know).

I was also unaware that some radio apps continue to operate even if their sound is muted and you're doing something else. In short, try manually closing ALL apps on your phone before you go to bed, then see if the loss is as dramatic the next morning. If it isn't, something in the background was more active than it should have been, and was draining your battery.

M

mydisplaycare11

One possible difference in the iPhone 4 and your old iPhone you *might* not be accounting for is background apps. Now, *most* background apps are inert when they're not in use, but I was recently surprised to discover that Skype for example *never signs out* and continues to receive chat messages, status updates etc (this can be changed in prefs, but I didn't know).

I was also unaware that some radio apps continue to operate even if their sound is muted and you're doing something else. In short, try manually closing ALL apps on your phone before you go to bed, then see if the loss is as dramatic the next morning. If it isn't, something in the background was more active than it should have been, and was draining your battery.

Very true. Never really thought of that, and a lot of the times, we think turning off internet will turn everything else off, but the apps definitely still do run in the background. But I just turn my iphone off before sleeping, I'm sure that saves battery too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.