Deleting Items from Flash Drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.8.5, 2.66GHz, 2GB 800MHz
I was always able to remove items in my flash drive until today. What could have gone wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I was always able to remove items in my flash drive until today. What could have gone wrong?

Hi Mira.... - do you believe that anyone can respond to this terse post? ;)

Please provide more information: 1) What Mac/OS are you using?; 2) What USB flash drive is in question?; 3) What items are you trying to remove?; and 4) What error messages do you receive? Help us first - Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Does your flash drive have a read only switch? Some flash drives have this switch on them and if it's in the read only position, you will not be able to remove or delete items.

OP
MiraMar111
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 20" OS X 10.8.5

Flash Drive…Memorex, 2GB. No switches.. just plug in and go!

I've had this flash drive for several years..no problem.
I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. Nothing has been the same since!

I don't receive any message when trying to delete items…they just won't delete.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 20" OS X 10.8.5

Flash Drive…Memorex, 2GB. No switches.. just plug in and go!

I've had this flash drive for several years..no problem.
I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard. Nothing has been the same since!

I don't receive any message when trying to delete items…they just won't delete.

Hi again - thanks for the additional information - I have several USB drives and neither have 'read-only' switches (more common w/ SD cards).

Does your drive mount in Finder and/or is it present in Disk Utility (DU) - if not, have you tried the drive in other USB slots on the same computer and also on another computer? Have you tried other USB drives on the computer in question? Just trying to determine if the drive is defective?

Now if you see the drive in Finder & DU, can you also see the contents in the Finder window? If so, you might want to check Preferences in DU to see if there are unchecked boxes there that may need to be 'ticked off' (see attached pic of my DU w/ Preferences opened & a Kingston USB drive mounted). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 2.51.55 PM.png

OP
MiraMar111
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Deleting Items from Flash Drive

I unplugged USB cord and then put it back in. Changed the Flash Drive's slot. Tried to delete something in it and it worked!!
Thank you so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I unplugged USB cord and then put it back in. Changed the Flash Drive's slot. Tried to delete something in it and it worked!!
Thank you so much!

Well, congrats! :) Don't know if my advice helped but glad that you were able to use the flash drive - if not already done, you may want to get that data elsewhere as a backup and consider buying another drive (larger ones are pretty cheap now). Dave

ADDENDUM: I'm sure you already know this but make sure that when you plug in your USB drive(s), that on removal use the 'Eject' option for the drive before removing - if the drive is still actively transferring data and is 'pulled' at the wrong time, then may cause a problem. :)

OP
MiraMar111
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Deleting Item from Flash Drives

Well, congrats! :) Don't know if my advice helped but glad that you were able to use the flash drive - if not already done, you may want to get that data elsewhere as a backup and consider buying another drive (larger ones are pretty cheap now). Dave

I don't understand anything about computers! What I know I had to learn through trial and error and kind people like you.
I know nothing about "drives."
All I found is that Macs are way too sensitive for people like me who are curious and have to learn on their own.

OP
MiraMar111
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand anything about computers! What I know I had to learn through trial and error and kind people like you.
I know nothing about "drives."
All I found is that Macs are way too sensitive for people like me who are curious and have to learn on their own.

I re-read my reply to you and realized that you meant Flash Drives.
Of course I'm familiar with them.
I shouldn't read and reply so quickly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I re-read my reply to you and realized that you meant Flash Drives.
Of course I'm familiar with them.
I shouldn't read and reply so quickly!

No problem at all - just let us known if your are OK now? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
If you find OS X difficult then try Windows 8. I used windows 7 and it was great but Windows 8 is a nightmare.
Keep coming back with any problems and I am sure the kind people on this forum will help you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.