Texting While Driving MUST STOP... please recommend an app

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I held onto an old phone simply because I could text without looking at the phone. I could feel it out and spell it out correctly because it was the old kind- yeah know where the buttons were raised and not on the screen...
Well, I have finally made the switch to an Iphone and need help. For the benefit of other's on the road, my wife and kid, and myself- could someone please recommend an app that I can simply say a text out loud and have it sent to keep me from having to type while driving...
I have a 3GS so SIRI is not an option I guess for me.
thanks
jared

Reaction score
Turn off, put in pocket. Simple and safe.

C

chas_m

Power down the iPhone before getting in the car. Not sleeping. OFF.

Your life, the lives of other people, and your family's safety and well-being are more important than ANY text. If the phone is turned completely OFF while driving, then you have no chance of RECEIVING a text, and thus no temptation to respond to it (not that you should even be READING texts while driving, let alone sending them!).

Unless you're a driver by profession, the time you spend in a car is typically a miniscule part of your overall day. So whatever it is, it can wait the 15 minutes till you get to where you're going.

You shut your phone off in the movie theatre, don't you? That's around two hours of "off" time. Surely you can do the same in the car.

The life, health and property you save may be your own!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Power down the iPhone before getting in the car. Not sleeping. OFF.

Your life, the lives of other people, and your family's safety and well-being are more important than ANY text. If the phone is turned completely OFF while driving, then you have no chance of RECEIVING a text, and thus no temptation to respond to it (not that you should even be READING texts while driving, let alone sending them!).

Unless you're a driver by profession, the time you spend in a car is typically a miniscule part of your overall day. So whatever it is, it can wait the 15 minutes till you get to where you're going.

You shut your phone off in the movie theatre, don't you? That's around two hours of "off" time. Surely you can do the same in the car.

The life, health and property you save may be your own!

I couldn't agree more.

Look at it as an opportunity to correct a bad habit.

OP
J
Reaction score
I drive 3000 miles per month... sorry guys... at this point, it's not an option. I am using Vlingo... its all voice command and sits on my dash... all handsfree

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
And what did you do before texting was invented?

I really hope that when you finally do crash, you don't hit someone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I drive 3000 miles per month... sorry guys... at this point, it's not an option. I am using Vlingo... its all voice command and sits on my dash... all handsfree

Hrm, I'm really glad that texting and driving is illegal here. It's worse than drinking and driving.. statistically speaking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Texting while driving just doesn't mix. ( Boozing is another thing ) Stop it. Really. Even when I talk, unless it's a quick conversation, I pull over to the side. Just don't do it! Wait till you get there. Then talk or text to your hearts content. How important is it that you can't wait?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If you hit my family while texting and driving, you'd best pray I'm a fatality or hire professional protection for life. It's a bad habit to say the least. Exercise some restraint and put the phone down, or hire a driver.

C

chas_m

Guys, he said he's now using Vlingo -- that's a voice-controlled app. I believe he's trying to say that he uses it for texting now instead of manually texting while driving.

If that's so, then that's the kind of improvement you want, at least until he gets an iPhone with Siri. As he said, he's some kind of professional driver (3,000 miles a month = 100 miles per day, every day average) -- or desperately needs to look into telecommuting. :)

I still say that most normal human beings can wait until they take a pit stop to return any texts, emails, calls etc. In my own personal opinion, even COMPOSING a text (not typing it, just thinking about what you're going to say) is too distracting. I can just about -- barely -- handle a hands-free voice call if it's nothing long and nothing complicated. Maybe I just don't have the brain power of this guy, but I will say that science has long since proven we are not ANYWHERE NEAR as good at multi-tasking as we think we are:

Amazon.com: The Myth of Multitasking: How "Doing It All" Gets Nothing Done (9780470372258): Dave Crenshaw: Books

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
In the UK the police now check phones for previous activity after an accident, but I still constantly see drivers using them on the move, even when they have a passenger right next to them and perfectly capable of speaking for them.
It's beyond belief the risks people take with theirs and others's lives.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I don't care if these idiots who text want to take their own lives in their hands while texting, but I mind tremendously when they put mine or my family's lives at risk when they are too busy jabbering on the phone or trying to read/text to pay attention to the road while driving.

If you don't have handsfree phone in your car, you should be arrested on the spot for using a phone. NO phone call you could get is worth killing another person. NONE.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.